Dartzeel 108 vs Ayre Mr-X

Hi,

What would comments & observations be on these two amps.
Pros & cons with Nagra preamp (PL-L).

Any suggestions on amps in same "league" ?

Tim
timnaim
While you may churn up some interesting experiences such as Kurt's direct comparison, I would require a personal home audition for products at this level. Personally, I trust most of Kurt's information and a first hand A/B on a familiar system can be valuable information.

Same with preamplification. Another brand would have to add something desirable to the system that either the dartZeel or the Ayre pres don't. For now, more importantly than which amp or pre is what speaker system?
As everyone can see, I have created some enemies here.

Audiofool is well known here, he especially hates Usher speakers which are praised worldwide by both owners and professional reviewers. I loved my Usher BE-718, therefore he hates me.

For those who are interested, the 3 different systems I heard are:

Sooloo to Ayre KX-R to Ayre MX-R to Avalon ISIS
Ayre CDP to Spectral/Ayre KX-R to Ayre MX-R to Avalon ISIS
Ayre CPD to Ayre KX-R to Ayre MX-R to an Italian speaker which I can't remember the name, but cost $10k+

In 2 different rooms, 3 different days, and many different software.

I am not saying Ayre MX-R is bad, I am sure it's not since it's loved by so many. I am saying before you put your hard earned cash on it, be sure it's what you want. It could be system synergy, it could be the room, it could be anything, but what I heard in all 3 occasions were lifeless and boring to the nth degree. Even my not so critical non-audiophile wife said she prefered the simple system (Usher Be-718) I had at home.

Unlike Bar81 and Audiofool, I am quite neutral and don't insult others just because someone doesn't like the gears I own. If I like what I have, great, I don't need the whole world to agree with me.

You might like them, but you might not.
Just to add a note of balance here, I'm sure that everyone is accurately describing their listening experiences. However, please be aware that the Ayre MX-R's have a very expensive ultra-high speed, ultra-low loss PCB material. It cost over 20x what the standard audio grade fiberglass PCB material costs.

The only problem with it is that it takes about 2 or 3 weeks of continuous play to fully break in.

So if you have listened to them at a dealer that has had them on constant display for many weeks or months, you will probably think they sound pretty good. Same story if you buy them and live with them for a while.

But if the dealer has just gotten them, or switches them in and out of the system constantly, they won't be at their best and you will probably leave the showroom scratching your head wondering what all the fuss is about.

The bottom line is that an in-home demo with well broken-in equipment is always the best route with any brand. Then you can hear it with your equipment, in your room, with your music. Even then you won't be hearing the equipment at its best. You'll want to tweak it, playing with "footers", power cords, et cetera. Most of this can only happen after you've made the purchase. So things can only get better from what you hear at the in-home demo. Hope this helps.