Best budget phono preamp for Unison Unico?

Hi,

I was fortunate enough to buy a Unison Unico hybrid integrated amp here on Audiogon at a great price ($800). :-)

I'm driving a set of Totem Arro speakers. And I have a SOTA Sapphire TT currently being refurbished at the SOTA factory.

Since this Unico doesn't have the built in phono stage, I need an outboard unit. When I say "budget," I mean $250 or less, ideally. I was considering the Cambridge unit that goes for $169... the reviews look good. Any other suggestions? I'm not sure whether I'll be using MM or MC in in the tone arm. All I know is that the 20-year-old Audioquest cartridge needs replacing! ;-)

Thanks!
rebbi
Reb Audiophile: Aryeh Kaplan translates chashmal as 'speaking silence'. In other words, a totally transparent yet ultimately dynamic soundstage. Ha ha! I wonder with you moniker what type of Chasidut you are into?
Chashmal,

I wasn't thinking of anything that esoteric, just that Chashmal in modern Hebrew means "electricity." Oh well... :-)
There are Pro-ject's that are in your price range for a seond hand price.. But the sound is just really mediocre at best, I really wasn't too impressed.

As for the Musical surroundings Phonomena, it is a decent phono stage that I run in my system too with a lot of flexibility for MMs and MCs carts. It is a lil bit on the dry side though but the detail is fairly clear on it. I'm running my dynavector cart on it. It'll run from about 3-350 or so second hand.

The other good thing too is that apparently the 9V power supply that goes with it too is supposedly be a drastic improvement compared to the AC adapter. But I haven't had the money to buy that one yet or maybe even sell off mine to someone that has it.
Neway317,

I've seen the Phonomena for around $300, used (the one with the original power supply).

What about the Jolida JD 9 phono stage? It's a little pricey for my budget (I've seen it for around $375).
Rebbi: the Unison Unico is my absolute favorite small integrated. Roll those tubes and you will be in HaShemiam!