New Rowland Criterion 2-chassis battery pre

Jeff Rowland Design has just created a page for its upcoming statement-level, twin chassis, battery powered full function preamplifier. Detail is still scant, but a little bit of info is already available, in addition to front and rear view pics. Here’s the page:
http://jeffrowland.com/Criterion.htm
And here’s the front view:
http://jeffrowland.com/Criterion-front.htm
And here’s the rear view:
http://jeffrowland.com/Criterion-back.htm

You will find a few specs already on the site. JRDG should be publishing more info in the next few weeks. I will post here as I receive it. in addition to the published specs that you can read on the page above, here are a very few additional tidbits that I have learned this far:

. Uses Burr Brown TI OPA1632 high speed fully differentially balanced modules.
. Includes phono stage.
. Uses standard NiMH D-cell batteries available in most electronics stores, loaded in 2 rear-inserted tubes of power supply chassis.
. Capable of AC/DC operation . . . will recharge batteries on independent circuit during AC operation.
. Full remote control
. Target price $18K (not sure yet)
. Availability: probably early Fall 2008.
. Will be featured at RMAF in Soundings Hifi suite Marriott 503 or 505 from Oct 10th to 12th in Denver.

And sorry folks, I have not heard this device yet. Nor I have any good third party reports on its sound. Any speculations on Sonics from my part would be just. . . pure speculations. I’ll keep everyone posted as I learn more.

Guido
guidocorona
Thank you Vito, Criterion's home theater bypass is very flexible. Any/some/all of the Criterion's balanced or unbalanced inputs can be configured/assigned to home theater bypass. This means that you could have up to 6 inputs configured as theatre bypass if you really wanted.

Note that by default, as all inputs are transformer coupled, all inputs RCA/XLR have identical gain structure. If you want to adjust input gain for any/some/all of the inputs, you can assign a gain offset +/- 10dB in 0.5dB increments to any of the inputs.

All main outputs (2XLR, 2RCA) are also transformer coupled. . . This mean that by default they would present an identical volume gain to a pair of amplifiers that you may be using in a biamped configuration. . . But for greater flexibility in biamped configurations, RCA output 2 can also be configured with an output gain offset (+/- 10dB with 0.5dB granularity).

What's even more interesting, is that the record outs are controlled by a completely separate preamplification circuit. . . this means that you could even assign a Criterion input to drive an amp(s) in a separate room, which would enjoy a completely different musical program with a completely different volume.

On your specific question of compatibility with ML amp. . . Criterion's output impedance is only 60Ohms in both balanced and unbalanced mode. This means that Criterion is compatible with all but the most peculiar amps on the market. Unless your amp has an input impedance of less than 1200 Ohms, you will have no problems.

Saluti,

Guido
Brazcole,

could you tell us was is better with your Gamut D200 than with the 312?

muito brigado
Speaking of Gamut, they had one of the very best rooms at RMAF. We couldn't compare the Gamut pre and the JRDG in the same system, but they were both clearly at the top of the heap.

Dave
I must echo Dave's assessment of the GamuT room, using their big monoblock amps. Performance of the Bach Toccata Adagio and Fugue in C minor on the organ was stunning and very emotionally involving. Yet it seemed to me that a system consisting of Boulder CDp, Boulder 2010 pre, Rowland 312 amp, and Vienna Die Muzick speakers that we listened to at Soundings Hifi just across from the Marriott hotel may have exceeded the Gamut system in harmonic resolution and low level detail. The 2 systems were definitely comparable in staging, imaging, extension, and superior abscence of any disturbing artifacts. . . the kind of systems that you just would like never to walk away from.

Dave and I were able to listen/contrast the Rowland 312 and the Boulder 2060 stereo amps on the same system at Soundings. . . Boulder CDp, Boulder 2010 pre, Vienna Die Muzick speakers. Both excellent amps. everyone present in the room appeared to favor 312 over Boulder 2060 for authority, staging, harmonic exposure, low level detail.

Unfortunately we were not able to compare directly Boulder 2010 and Criterion in the same system, hence I won't guess about my pref between these 2 devices.
I will say, I agree with Guido with preferring the VA/Rowland/Boulder set up, BUT the GamuT was in a HUGE room and we were sitting much further away from it than the set ups at Soundings. Perhaps that distance impacted our ability to hear the inner detail of the large GamuT tower speakers.

I'm very comfortable in saying that Rowland, GamuT and Boulder are amongst the top performers in this rather serious price range. Which makes me think of the FM Acoustic, another amplifier that I liked a lot, but the six-figure price was offputting and it was not clearly superior to the trio that I mentioned before.

Sorry to take the thread away from the Criterion, but comparsions, even when VERY informal can be useful.

Dave