New Rowland Criterion 2-chassis battery pre

Jeff Rowland Design has just created a page for its upcoming statement-level, twin chassis, battery powered full function preamplifier. Detail is still scant, but a little bit of info is already available, in addition to front and rear view pics. Here’s the page:
http://jeffrowland.com/Criterion.htm
And here’s the front view:
http://jeffrowland.com/Criterion-front.htm
And here’s the rear view:
http://jeffrowland.com/Criterion-back.htm

You will find a few specs already on the site. JRDG should be publishing more info in the next few weeks. I will post here as I receive it. in addition to the published specs that you can read on the page above, here are a very few additional tidbits that I have learned this far:

. Uses Burr Brown TI OPA1632 high speed fully differentially balanced modules.
. Includes phono stage.
. Uses standard NiMH D-cell batteries available in most electronics stores, loaded in 2 rear-inserted tubes of power supply chassis.
. Capable of AC/DC operation . . . will recharge batteries on independent circuit during AC operation.
. Full remote control
. Target price $18K (not sure yet)
. Availability: probably early Fall 2008.
. Will be featured at RMAF in Soundings Hifi suite Marriott 503 or 505 from Oct 10th to 12th in Denver.

And sorry folks, I have not heard this device yet. Nor I have any good third party reports on its sound. Any speculations on Sonics from my part would be just. . . pure speculations. I’ll keep everyone posted as I learn more.

Guido
guidocorona
Sorry for the mistakes... I am writing from an iphone ... Not so easy ... It seems that a new combi from accuphase is also coming out ... Could be interesting ... And Zanden
regards
Claude, DCS does make splendid stuff, while up to now I have tended to prefer the TEAC Esoteric sound, I freely admit that DCS is excellentAnd who knows. . . my preference may change in the future. . I'll give a careful listen at DCS at RMAF in October. Guido
Guido,

please the tell us then what perception you had from dCS.

One more question to the Criterion: you seem happy and convinced but not so crazily enthousiastic about the change from Capri to Criterion ... am I right ?
Here in Europe the price difference beetween both is from one to seven !! ... it's quite a huge step.

PS to my former post: Prof. Johnson has developped the Spectral latest CD player, it should be excellent.
Humm... interesting... the Clavi's observation about Guido's change from Capri to Criterion, because when I was googling some information about the 2 boxes Krell 202 preamplifier, I found something like the project with 2 boxes itsn' so good because the conection cord makes the signal weaker.

Tomorrow I'll ask the Krell rep to bring me the 1 box Krell 222 and not the Krell 202 any more.
Let's see.

And I'd like to compare the Criterion with the Ayre again, because now I'm more realist, without passion. I think the Ayre deserve another chance because some reviewer called this device the 8º wonder of the world.

With this kind of toughts the Puccini with 1 box (or 2 with the little clock) should be perfect.
"you seem happy and convinced but not so crazily enthousiastic about the change from Capri to Criterion ... am I right ?"

Hi Claude. . .the answer is an emphatic NO, that is not correct. I am extremely enthusiastic about the differences between Criterion and Capri. . . but I am always shy of using any overwhelming superlatives in writing any of my assessments. Fact is that IMO Criterion exceeds the performance of Capri in approx 12 hours from cold out of the box. . . then it is essentially a rising curve, except for a period of instability between 125 and 175 hours of break in. In the end, Criterion -- as a JRDG product -- displays some kinship with Capri in most parameters, but it is a different animal all together. Authority, macro/micro dynamics, harmonic exposure, top to bottom extension, image resolution, and ability to deliver high SPLs without batting an eye or showing intermodulating fatigue are in a different league. What is even more interesting, is that rather than given you a sense that you are 'seeing deeper into the soundstage', it is more like Criterion plops a solid and vast 3-dymensional soundstage into the listening area. The difference is what I would call transcendent.

On the other hand, it is only audio equipment we are talking about. . . any rumours that Criterion has improved my love life are somewhat exagerated. On the other hand, now that I think of it. . . hmmm (grins!)

Concerning DCS, my impression of DCS is that its house sound is always extremely pleasing, sometimes at the detriment of what to me makes music emotional: the interplay of differentially decaying harmonics, and microdynamics. I'll listen to DCS again at RMAF. . . who knows. . . I might change my mind.

Guido