New Rowland Criterion 2-chassis battery pre

Jeff Rowland Design has just created a page for its upcoming statement-level, twin chassis, battery powered full function preamplifier. Detail is still scant, but a little bit of info is already available, in addition to front and rear view pics. Here’s the page:
http://jeffrowland.com/Criterion.htm
And here’s the front view:
http://jeffrowland.com/Criterion-front.htm
And here’s the rear view:
http://jeffrowland.com/Criterion-back.htm

You will find a few specs already on the site. JRDG should be publishing more info in the next few weeks. I will post here as I receive it. in addition to the published specs that you can read on the page above, here are a very few additional tidbits that I have learned this far:

. Uses Burr Brown TI OPA1632 high speed fully differentially balanced modules.
. Includes phono stage.
. Uses standard NiMH D-cell batteries available in most electronics stores, loaded in 2 rear-inserted tubes of power supply chassis.
. Capable of AC/DC operation . . . will recharge batteries on independent circuit during AC operation.
. Full remote control
. Target price $18K (not sure yet)
. Availability: probably early Fall 2008.
. Will be featured at RMAF in Soundings Hifi suite Marriott 503 or 505 from Oct 10th to 12th in Denver.

And sorry folks, I have not heard this device yet. Nor I have any good third party reports on its sound. Any speculations on Sonics from my part would be just. . . pure speculations. I’ll keep everyone posted as I learn more.

Guido
guidocorona
It's a chicken and egg situation involving both manufacturers and magazines. . . difficult to say where it starts. . . but end result is that there are little reviews and little advertising. . . and everyone loses, manufacturers, magazines, and consumers. . . . until things change. G.
Guido,
I've learned a lot from postings at this site, and I thank you and all the regular posters for that. Would be great to hear Jeff weigh in on this subject. I was disappointed with the way Jeff and Class D were handled a few months ago in TAS. The fact that Rowland has been so successful despite the lack of advertising and the "media blackout" says great things about his product. Personally, I usually try to steer clear of heavy advertisers, or products that are pushed by the media.
Switching amplification is a relatively new technology as applied to the high end. . . as it gains more ground on the North American marketplace, it is inevitable that it will also garner more coverage by online and print publications. . . . and what's in the past will eventually become material for erudite historical marketing analysis. G.
As for the press, I'd love to see a review of the Criterion (or the 312 for that matter) by an entity that wasn't being paid to advertise the product, but I'm not holding my breath. Reviewing audio components well is difficult enough, and probably just about impossible if there is a financial conflict of interest.
Until then I'll just have to rely on this forum.
Psag, A'gon isn't all that bad a resouce. Just like with the printed mags and online mags, you have to learn to read the reviewers. Generally I don't think that advertising "buys" good reviews, but the advertisers probably do tend to get reviewed more often.

Anyone in business knows those that smooze and those that don't. Jeff doesn't. To hear him tell it, he tries to be courteous to all comers at shows, but he's not into buying a potential reviewer a fancy meal or "entertaining" such people. If they want to visit his shop they'll be welcomed and shown all the same stuff he'll show others. He's about running his business conservatively and trying to design the best products that he knows how. I doubt you'll ever see him here or on any forum defending his equipment or touting it. He likes the way his web site looks and that ain't achangin', etc., etc.

That makes it a little harder for us to find him, but you can be pretty comfortable that any fame or notice he receives is well earned. I have nothing at stake and only comment about JRDG because I want others to find out the "secret" that I've found. I paid full retail and could have just as easily spent that $9000+ on some other brand.

Dave