Audio Research REF 3

Dear all ARC REF 3 owners,
I just bought an REF 3 preamp which has replaced my LS25MKII preamp. To be honest i'm little disappointed by the result so far, but i guess tubes have to be replaced. My concern is especially on the sound image which is not precise as my LS25MKII image was.
The number of hours of used displayed by the my REF 3 is 1670 but i realized that hours counter increased only for full hours of used, so i can estimate the number of hours of the tubes inside my REF 3 to be the double i guess.
My question is the following
What do you recommend for tubes replacement and source for the replacement of REF 3 tubes.
I used sovtek, EH gold, and 6H30-DR on my LS25MKII and i was pleased with all those tubes even if i didn't find the DR much better than the 2 other brands.
Thanks in advance
ARCL60
arcl60
Dear all,
Many thanks for your answers
I bought My REF 3 used, and it runs 6L6GC tube in power supply (my REF 3 is from 2005). I will order a new full set of tubes and try new tubes, i will also do the upgrade with 6550c tube and the 4 bypass caps asap. I've opened my REF 3 yesterday and tubes look original ones (the 6L6GC is on bad condition and it's difficult to read what is written on the tube), i guess my REF 3 tubes has more hours than what the counter is saying. I saw also that resetting the hours counter is very easy, so it has been maybe done by a previous owner. For the counter hours, i did some short listening sessions (less than 1 hour each) and i have been surprised to see the counter staying at the same number of hours and only increased for full hours listening (i need to say that my system is physically unplugged from power voltage when it is not used)
Best Regards
Laurent
PS : Is TheTubeStore a good source for REF 3 tubes, as long as ARC doesn't want to ship item in France, and i will not travel to the US before Sep08 the sooner
Jwm,.......the Ref3 is not leaner. Guidocorona's explanation says it all.

The Ref2 Mk2 is a great preamp by any standard, and the Ref3 totally eclipsed it.
Hello ARCL60 , I 'm also a proud owner of the REF3 , I left the 6550C original supplied , but replaced the normal tubes by the DR version . I liked this roll out . The tubes were bought at the Tubestore , fast delivery , had no problem .Do you do the upgrade of the 4 bypasscaps your self ? In the Netherlands the importer refuses to do the upgrade for me , so I like to do it myself , but dont know
the value of the caps , and the place in the machine .Perhaps you have the schematics ?
Greetings Hans
Hi Hans,
Guido told me that the 4 bypass caps parts is around $80 at Audio Research. I will order the kit from Audio Research and ask for the schematic also. I know a technician who is able to do it in France, i will not do myself. Do you know why the Netherlands importer doesn't want to do it ? That's strange the France importer should be able to do it i guess, but i prefer to work with my Audio Research Authorized technician who is closer to me. I ordered a set of tubes from TheTubeStore, and i will order the kit of bypass caps when i will travel to the US, so i will have the caps installed with 6550c tube a little bit later.
I will let you know for the bypass upgrade
Laurent
Hans, the bypass caps installation is apparently a simple matter that can be done by any technician. ARC supplies instructions/schematics with the caps. Best to contact ARC directly and speak to Leonard. Guido