Shall I add a preamp to my setup?

I newly setup a system with Thiel CS 3.7 speaker, driving my Sim audio Titan 5 channel poweramp, source with Simaudio cd5.3, I am very excited with the 2 channel performance, but it seems lack of warmth of vocal and extension of high, not enough airly extensions, base is fine. I doubt my weakest link is the Sherbourn PT-7010A pre/pro, all the above new gear has pretty much break my bank, I wonder if I should squeeze the rest of bank reserve for a descent 2 channel preamp in order to solve the problem.....the other choice is a better CDP, can someone walked thru the similar path give me some advice?
grandetech
BTW, is it dangerous to buy a tube preamp used? Particularly not knowing the remaining life of the expensive tubes.
Buying anything used isn't entirely dangerous regardless the the item. It does have it's ups & downs though. Using some prudent judgement, and doing some howmework/research on the seller and the intended item is a must however.

I bought what I thought was a 3 year old BAT VK 5i from a seller who I believe is no longer a member here. it turned out it was closer to ten years old in fact. The misrepresentation of it's age was of course, an issue. Once new tubes were installed in it though, I was very pleased with it's performance overall and held onto it for a couple of years until the upgrade bug bit me... and then I bought my Thor and sold the BAT.

Tubes in general last a pretty long time. Some say thousands of hours! 3000 and up isn't unheard of, some tubes life expectancy go upwards of 10,000, 'New' or NOS of course.

Used tubes can do pretty well too. it's all about what you want to do and can afford I guess. Getting some used tubes is an easy and cheaper way to find out what suits you too. here, again, the seller's reputation is most important. There are several here and off Audiogone which are most competent and trustworthy.

Age of the component is a factor too, though if the maker is still in business it is less an issue than if no original support is available, natuarlly.

My own preffs tell me to not buy vintage & antique gear, but some swear by it. Again, this is a matter more of preffs than actual betterment and remains quite subjective, IMO. I've lost the ability to properly serivice electronics so for myself, support is key.

I also limit myself to buying electronics that are but shortly used, if at all possible... 2-3yrs. max., and less if possible. The build quality of anything is gonna reflect in it's longevity and performance too. Again, by the time I sold my BAT preamp it was over ten years old and played flawlessly and sounded great!

Keeping in mind your situation, preffs, experience and so forth, it may be best to buy something inexpensive right off to see what is what in the tube world. Something with some popularity too, so reselling it if not to your liking won't be a big deal. Any of those companies I've listed above are worth investigating and you'll not go far wrong... if at all.

Sticking with a preamp whose tube array is current or plentiful is also a good idea. Like the 12AT, 12AX, 12AU, 6DJ8, 6922, 7308, 6sn7, etc. and they all have their own sonic signatures... which is good for you can buy & try out the same 6922 from any number of makers and customize the sound to your preffs.

Lastly more tubes inside the unit doesn't mean better all the time... it does mean more money to outfit it all the time though... but that'll only happen due to whims or every 4 or 5 years, depending on how much you play the thing. 4hr. per day = <1500 hours per year.
Blindjim,

Great piece of info for a tube newbie like me, appreciate for your time writing it thoroughly.

ARC has come to my attention when I looked at BAT, VTL...all big names, but how would I suppose to pick from them?
With a $6K budget in hand and desiring 'new', I'd look at the middle of a makers line up... if used, higher up.

However, do be mindful of the 'point of diminishing returns'. you may well be in any case, yet it does apply across the board usually and that means tube gear too.

Seeking to remedy or add to, your current situation though, IMO I would look lower maybe... and preowned as well... just for a look see, right?

I keep pointing to VTL and will again... though I've not owned one, their entry level unit (2.1?) is well regarded and reviewed and is a decent way to begin I think. Also the BAT VK5i & VK 5i SE & CJ 10, Quicksilver, and there are more. Naturally, if mo dough is present, scoot on up the lines of whomever you seem to prefer... eg., ARC.

A bit of a learning curve is in order with tube gear, and be mindful of that too. Vintage tubes, and AES, along with some private vendors here on the 'gone are good resources for tubes too... and top dollar isn't always needed to have fine results when acquiring tubes to play with.

Check out the classic tube preamps by doing a search here and online for more insights.
Thanks Jim for taking care of me newbie with such generous input. I am serious looking into getting a preowned tube preamp from here, hopefully spending like $2-4K to step in Tube world and get experienced as you suggest. Seems there are more choice on BAT than VTL currently listed, for VK5iSE, do you actually mean VK51SE?