I Feel Overwhelmed....Please Help

Hello, all.

I have recently decided to begin upgrading to stereo components around the entry level audiophile range, and move away from home theater stuff. I need help, as I had no idea until I began recently researching modern amps, preamps, integrateds, etc, just how huge the selection there is available.

Currently, I have the following:

Harman Kardon AVR 235 A/V receiver
Front L&R channels:
50 Watts per channel
@ <0.07% THD, 20Hz–20kHz into 8 ohms

Harman Kardon FL 8385 CD Changer

Klipsch KG 5.5 Floorstanding Speakers
frequency response 34Hz-20kHz±3dB
power handling 100 watts maximum continuous (500 watts peak)
sensitivity 98dB @ 1watt/1meter
nominal impedance 8 ohms
tweeter K-85-K 1" (2.54cm) Polymer dome compression driver
high frequency horn 90°x60° Tractrix® Horn
woofer Two K-1023-K 10" (25.4cm) Injected Carbon Graphite cones
Bass reflex via front-mounted port

Grado Labs SR325 Headphones

I use the receiver strictly for stereo music playback with my HK CD changer, or I play .flac or .mp3 files via input to the receiver from my computer sound cards optical digital output.

I want to keep my Klipsch speakers for now, along with my Grado cans, which I love. OTOH, I have not been particularly happy with the two HK components. Although the sound is not totally bad, it is a tad too bright, and it is fatiguing to listen over long periods of time. My room acoustics are not ideal either, with hardwood floors and drywall throughout. The listening rooms dimensions are 14'x13', with speaker placement along and near the corners of the 13' wall. At present, I cannot afford any of the acoustic treatments I see on the various internet sites.

From what I have seen so far, I think I would favor the warm, rich, clear sound of tube components. My Klipsch speakers are highly efficient at 8 ohms, so I should not need higher power, but I don't want to lose bass response either. I have not had much experience listening to higher end audio, but I really loved the sound of a friends McIntosh receiver (late 70's vintage), and another friends 60's vintage tubed HH Scott receiver, both systems paired with matching speaker pairs of the same brands respectively. Those experiences are why I believe I should really consider tube amps.

Would someone please be so kind as to suggest components that would allow me to play CD, CD-R, and digital music files based upon what I stated above? I suppose I could do without the ability to directly play back the digital files, but a CD player is a must have. Oh yeah, my budget is up to $3000, but I want to get as much as I can for the best possible price under that ceiling. Thanks.
chap_cat
Welcome Chap_cat. So your $3000 assumes no change to the speakers right now? One very good thing about those speakers is that they're VERY efficient and you really don't need a lot of power to drive them.

I'd focus on getting a high quality CD/SACD player first, then like a 100 watt integrated amp (you may not need that much power now, but I suspect that you'll upgrade your speakers in the not-too-distant future). Finally, you need to consider upgrading your interconnects and speaker cables. (You didn't tell us what you use).

The CDP and cables have a big impact on listener fatigue. Also, adding a nice big rug and some stuffed furniture will help the room a lot. You may need further treatment after you take some remedial steps. Speaker placement is also huge. (See my review of the Sumiko Speaker Set}.

Look at the A'gon members' Virtual Systems, focusing on simple, but elegant systems.

Ideally you'd find your speakers first and then select a compatable amp next. If you'd "like to keep" your Klipsch forever, then don't worry about this, but if you're thinkin that you might make a move in the relatively new term, then you might think of delaying the amp decision until then.

You start with your sources, connections and room to get rid of listener fatigue, then move to the speakers and amp(s).

Some here will try to sucker you into a fight about tubes vs. SS vs. Class D vs. Class A vs. etc., etc. Don't worry about ANY of that crap and just listen when making your decisions. Any of those technologies will work in most applications when well implemented.

Breath deeply and happy hunting...

Dave
Thanks, Dave. On the coming Wednesday, I will have the opportunity to drive into San Antonio (70 miles) and audition the following brands:

Jolida
Shanling
Antique Sound Lab
Creek
Cayin
Rega
Rogue Audio
PS Audio
Niles

among a few others.

I love the way the Shanlings look, and I like the bang for the buck that appear to be had with the Jolidas. I am also intrigued by the tube/ss hybrid amps I have seen on the internet.

As far as interconnects and speaker cables go, I presently use Monster Cable with gold plug in style clips, but not necessarily the higher end stuff.

I am planning to keep my speakers for the foreseeable future, since the $3000 outlay now will dry up my hobby budget for at least two or three years minumum, if not longer. Therefore, I really need to find an amp+pre-amp, or integrated amp plus a cd player that will match well with my Klipsch speakers. I do like these speakers, and when paired with better quality components and better acoustics, they should be just fine. I will also add better cabling.

Are there any opinions on the above brands and how they might meet my needs? Thanks.
I don't see anything that makes me wretch, so I'll say to let your ears be your guide. Unfortunately you'll be hearing all of these in an unfamiliar system. It's really hard to evaluate CDPs outside of your own system. Amps driving anything other than your own speakers will be misleading.

So, what do you do? Evaluate the dealers and see which ones you trust the most after you meet them. Before you go down, review all you can about the amps and CDP. When you get there focus on apparent build quality and pricing. If someone gives you crap about you existing system, then leave.

Dave
The Pathos Classic One Mark III isn't on your list but they show up here every so ofter in the $1650-1900 area, good solid tube integrated. That should leave you enough to get a good CDP. Check out the views in the archives here.
Just a thought.