Old power amp with newer preamp?

Hello,

I'm a newbie and I'm looking to improve my setup and more than happy to buy used equipment. I currently run Boston Acoustics CR-77 bookshelf speakers through an older Denon AVR-3000 receiver in 2 channel stereo. I have no desire for surround sound, just want to build a better system for music listening.

So I made the grave mistake of visiting our local B&W and Rotel dealer and I was really impressed with B&W's new 686 bookshelf speakers. The dealer played them through Rotel separates.

so here are my questions

Can I buy an older Power Amp (say from the late 1980s on) and pair it with a newer digital preamp? I'd pick up an amp here or on ebay. Probably 70 - 100 watts per channel.

Is there much difference between pairing a power and pre amp together over a good integrated amp of the same brand and power?

Any other recommendations for amp brand? (I'm pretty sold on the B&W's, so I'm looking for a good amp to pair them with.)

I'm looking to spend $500 for the amp setup and am happy to shop used. I've heard Cambridge Amps before and also NAD. I'm not in a position to A/B the amps, but was impressed with all three.

thanks!
stevecuss
I thought I should offer an update. I bought a dented (but completely functional) Rotel RB 980BX power amp off audiogon and paired it with a Rotel RSP 960ax processor. I also built my own DIY speakers from a GR Research kit. $150 total in the rotel gear and $375 in the GR Kit.

The rotel separates are much better sounding that the denon receiver I had. My wife in the other room immediately noticed with Mark Knopfler sounded like he showed up to do a personal gig!

The rsp960ax has a poor bass response, so I'll likely trade up from it one day.

the GR research speakers haven't broken in yet, but already have creamed my Boston bookshelves (which are actually excellent speakers for the $$$.)

anyway, thanks for everyone's help so far. Its been a fun journey

Steve
Grats on a nice buy. I own a rotel pre and power combo. RC980bx and Rb1070, and I agree that the Rotel pre can be a bit bass shy. I had mine modded. Someone added an current amp that adds 0.25A also the opamps and some other minor thing changed, that helpen a lot. But still I think it is the weak link in my system.
I traded the old RSP960ax for an old RSP980 (I can't believe how inexpensive these old pro logic processors are.) The RSP980 offers much better detail, better bass, better dynamics. Clearly a superior unit.

the GR Research kit speakers are really opening up and I'm loving the overall sound I'm getting. The bass is coming in nicely (probably thanks to the 980.)

I can see now that the 980 is very transparent, but a bit too bright. I'll keep it for quite a while, but my next move might possibly be a tube preamp.

I'm researching interconnects and speaker wire and hearing massively different opinion. Currently my speaker wire is home depot and interconnects are one step up from wal mart.

Steve
There is nothing wrong with using an older power amp with a new preamp. Take for example the highly acclaimed Hafler D200 & DH220 amps from the eighties. In a second system I'm using a new tube preamp (Audio Experience V2R) with the Hafler DH220. This combination lacks nothing, in fact this older Hafler throws a large soundstage with a warmish but full sounding midrange, extended & detailed highs, & good bass response. I prefer this older amp to some of the newer amps I have tried with the V2R because I don't get listener fatigue and enjoy the sound anyway.