pre-amp unacceptable noise level?

How much is an unacceptable level of noise/humming etc. from a pre-amp? I just bought a new tube pre-amp and when I replaced my old solid state one with it the noise level from the speakers practically tripled. There is an audible humming from the listening chair 10ft. away. I can't say I'm particularly happy with this considering the one I replaced did not do this.
fruff1976
Not sure how to bias tubes? This is my first tube pre-amp. Also, after hooking up my old solid state pre amp I noticed the system noise I'm talking about is present, but not as loud as with the rogue. Is it possible the noise is originating in my power amp and is being amplified to a greater degree with the rogue?
You do not need to bias the tubes with preamps.
The cheater plug would go on the power amp, if that is the problem.
Is it both channels or one? If one, you might have a bad cable.
If the hum is there with both preamps, then it is not the Rogue.
Tube preamps are usually not as quiet as solid state, but is would be the normal hiss sound that would be louder, not a hum.
There is an audible humming from the listening chair 10ft. away.
Just to be clear... is it hum or hiss? If it's hum, the advice above is all very good. If it's hiss, I suggest replacing the tubes with low noise variants. Tube hiss is common, but it can be fixed.
You should read this 10Audio review:

http://www.10audio.com/rogue_metis.htm

Particularly noteworthy:

"Downsides? A few. The Rogue is loud. There's much more spurious noise through my 89 db sensitive Soliloquy 6.2s than I'd like, and not just tube rush. I did have some issues with hum as well. Listen carefully and you can hear this from your chair at around ten feet."