TVC preamps: good or bad?

I was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages are of a TVC preamp? I have read elsewhere that transformers introduce coloration and aberrations in the frequency response, which is why we try to get them out of the output stage of valve amps. But ... what are the pros and cons of TVC preamps?
amfibius
Dgarretson, I agree, it seems that TVCs have a number of advantages over straight passives. One of them is low output impedance, essential for interconnect control.

Kurt's approach optimizes the TVC approach, but at the price of his own admission, that you don't design for the real world. Having sources that have the ability to drive low impedances on their own really helps you with performance if you optimize the TVC for that.

Obviously, this approach is no good for production. In the 'real world' you have to accommodate the output impedance of a simple tube phono stage, which might be rather high. Its tricky to wind high impedances on the primary side while getting good bandwidth- in fact you can regard them as mutually exclusive.

On this account is why this is an on-going conversation that will likely never be solved. IMO its easier to build a high performance tube line section (we can reproduce a 10KHz square wave quite nicely too, and do a 20Hz square wave with no measurable tilt) than it is to get a transformer 'right', and still work with the real world.
I have a tvc ref-3 that I'm very happy with, although I'm now moving to the c-core tvc with silver wiring.
This thread is a bit old and the Bent TAp with autoformer has been released. I did not own the previous version with the S&B trannies, but I did own a highly regarded S&B passive by K&K. I don't know if the difference is due to the difference in manufacturer, but I find the autoformer version of the TAP clearly superior to the S&B passive I previously owned. No leaness I can detect running my Music Reference RM9SE and incredible presentation of intonation by which I mean tracking changing levels of volume and and pitch which to me is critical to getting the musical message; that is, the new Bent Tap is very musically articulate. No loss of dynamics that I can detect compared with some highly regarded tube actives I have owned. With the right matching amp and source voltage, this passive is about as good as it gets; I think - worth an audition, especially if you own a tube amp with a 100kohm or higher input impedance and sensitivity half the output voltage of your source.
Are you using the Bent TAP with your Merlin BBAM upstream or downstream of TVC? If you're having good results, I assume that the BBAM must be upstream. The BBAM's 47K input impedance and capacitive load reportedly don't mate very well with a passive.