Tube amps vs solid state for large speakers

I am looking to experiment with a tube amp and currently use a tube phono-pre with a solid state amp. Problem is I am concerned that I wont be able to get enough power to drive my speakers with tubes, which are A/D/S L-1590 @ 8 ohm rated to 400W. Any thoughts out there? Also, what tube amps would you recommend to try out...under 2K used.
abruceaudino
I don't know your speakers but with tube power the key is what db efficiency rating and what nominal impedance...if the speakers are less than 8 ohm and 90 db then tube amping will become somewhat problematic...what are the speakers specs? Shadorne's suggestion to bi-amp is a possiblity but are the speakers biwireable and it will be hard to bi-amp for your budget.
Larry
Heres the specs I could dig up for the 1290's which are similar speakers just a bit smaller:

Impedence: 8 ohms nominal
Efficiency: 90 dB SPL from 2.8 VRMS.

They can be bi-amped but need to be done so with an external crossover. If I could figure out how to do that that would be great. Unfortunately I cannot just hook another amp directly to the other binding posts.
90 Db is not bad. I uses a pair of 175 watt Conrad Johnson tubed monoblocks to drive a pair of speakers with only 86 dB sensitivity. Tubed does not mean low powered - witness the various monsters from VTL. For under 2 K, you shold be able to find some options. I owned a pair of Aronov monoblocks for a while which were pretty nice for the $$.

BTW, my current speakers are ~ 6 feet tall, and I use 18 wpc tubed amps to drive them. It helps that the speakers are 117 db efficient :-)
What you really need to know is the impedance curve of your speakers, i.e. impedance vs. frequency and phase angle vs. frequency. The voltage sensitivity of your speakers will make them a marginal load for a low-powered tube amp, especially a SET amp. They might well be a very good match for a higher-powered tube amp, especially since they are a nominal 8 ohm impedance. There are good tube offerings from Cary Audio, Audio Electronic Supply, Antique Electronics, and some of the new Chinese amps like Cayin.
Music Reference RM-9Mk2. It is 125wpc single chassis stereo amp. Very powerful sounding and dependable. Does get hot though as it is biased class A up to about 25 watts. Powers the crap out of my VR-4's. About 1500-1800 used.