Granite Audio 770 Tube Pre-amp & its phono sec.

Currently own Supratek Chardonnay, Jas Array 1.1, TecT 2.0 and pre that belong to my boddy Cyber 222MK II. TacT is a RCS so it is not a real preamp. But the rest are.

My problem is this:
Love Supratek for its transparency, detail, speed (top end is to colored in my opinion - edgy)
Love Jas for emotional presentation and sweetness
Can not find a preamp that will give me both (under or around 2K used......or new). Does anyone know a baby " Frankenstein ".

At the time being, I ordered Granite Audio 770FP preamp to try it out. I would appreciate any opinion on that preamp. Keep in mind that I heard it many times - just not in my system. ( Consonance Cyber 800 mono block modded by B.Backert, Consonance Droplet 5.0 CDP, Quatro - vandersteen Spks. modded MMF7 Music Hall TT, Lenco (not finish - replinthed), TT "X" also home build turntable, Morch up-4/Denon 103R and Consonance Reference 40 phonostage. Cabling in 90% by Morrow Audio)
I would like to find out how its phono section compare to others etc. If non of these preamp will work - my only option would be to place it in hands of a tried and wonderful moder B.B to tweak it to my taste.

Thank You in advance
mrjstark
Maybe you are talking about the Lamhorns that Robert Lamarre of Tenor Audio manufactures, Mariusz?

I didn't bring them to CES2008, but we'll be sharing a room with Robert (he'll also have a Tenor room, obviously) in Montreal next month with these backloaded horns, with the AER drivers. The speakers are also available with Lowthers. We'll pair them with the Cyber 211 and 845 amplifiers. Of course, you lose the bottom octave or two with such a design, but for what they do well, a lot of people are more than willing to make that tradeoff. Personally, as much as I believe in the inherent superiority of the series crossover that Bud Fried pioneered, even it cannot hold a candle to using no crossover.

Interestingly enough, the typical push-pull tube amplifier doesn't put power into these loudspeakers very well. The SET models we offer bring the excitement and sense of scale to the music. It was kind of a surprise to me, but you can't argue with reality.

Perhaps, one day, we can give you a listen to the combination - we usually do so in the Northern NJ area which would be closer to you...
Yes Joe, those are the ones.
I can not make it to Montreal but I will try to schedule the visit to N.J.

As always, you have been a real gentelman.
I just briefly listen to Granit Audio 770fp on Friday.
Can't say much about its sound yet.....holidays rush.
It sure feels different in bass region and a bit darker on the top & a little cleaner more forgiving but in the same time slightly less exiting......how different then Supratek ?
I will have to spend a little more time with it to answer that.
On top of everything it has to break-in for at least a week and the use of better NOS tubes might be in order (not questioning Dans' choice but I do understand his limitations to keep it within original budget). Morrow cables used as IC and Granit Audio 555 PC.
Cheers
and happy holidays.
Drive safe.

Happy listining
& enjoy the music.
I have owned a Granite 770R since May 07 (also have Granite interconnects combined with Purist Audio,Granite headphone amp and a Granite power cord). It's good to see some response on Audiogon for it is truly in my opinion one of those sleepers. I previously put in a thread on tube rolling and got no response. Don is absolutely one of the finest - hope he is doing well with his personal following. I only use the preamp's line stage. I found using NOS or vintage tubes makes a dramatic difference (have a mix of Tungsols, Sylvania and Audio Research tubes). The Russian Tungsols may work well. My unit needed about a 150 - 200 hour burn in period. Also I just tried running my CDP through the tape in and I think this helps out. I have had many fine preamps over the years(one in the 10K plus price range) and the Granite holds it own.

Yes , Granite is/was in the shadows but it is a really nice preamp:
very neutral, not in the way, a little heavy in bass region but I wouldn't blame it on preamp , since it wasn't broken- in yet. Fine product if you can get a good deal.