Is there a very nice SS amp around 1K?

Hello

I'm looking for thoughts on solid state amps around $1000 which have XLR & SE inputs... around 100 wpc or so.. and a balanced presentation.... and not real old.

Is there such a thing?

Usage is likely 50/50 music/HT... and as a back up amp for main system. So long as it doesn't have tendencies which stick out like a sore thumb, and is something one can listen to for extended periods... that'll probably do just fine.

Ideas?
blindjim
Mapman

I appreciate the sentiments, and your perspective. I do understand too the slant of value by way of savings on preowned gear. Trust me on that… The Thor preamp would surely not be here were I to have been forced to pony up retail duckets for it. Only a few of my electronics comprising my now system were bought brandy new. The Sonata IIIs, some cabling, the Oppo, some iso deally thingys & tubes… the Onkyo receiver.. and some other items.

My previous BAT + VSA 4JR system was totally bought pre-owned save the wires… and a few of them were used as well. Some items weren’t entirely up to snuff outright. My inexperience then kept me unawares of some errant issues for a while and thus became irritating and ultimately costly for me.

Therefore now, I try to get as close to new as is possible, as a rule. Eg., above, feeling better about it. Still, I initially seek out those less costly pre-owned items.

To my detriment, patience is a virtue I am quite short on. So as I have said repeatedly for me, it comes down to me feeling good about a thing to do the deal.

I tried four or five sellers of various amps… some far more costly ones too. Some sellers didn’t even have the courtesy to respond, some took their time and replied with the caveat “it’s likely sold” , other’s were simply beyond what I could pay in the end… regrettably.

Being so decided, I felt that what was available currently, versus what I could get it for in new condition, well I made my pick.

The balanced bit? I already went through that part.

Tvad

….Why not?

It’s apples and oranges…. New vs. preowned, I’m sure of it. The words aren’t even spelled the same way!

Seriously though used always has a real big question mark on it. Always.

Hell, it’s a toss of the dice in any event for matching. Always one for subjective reasons. So we do what we do for whatever we justifiably predispose.

To each their own.
Another thing I could say in favor of the Odyssey is that a lot of people have reviewed it very highly on audioreview.com. Many positive, consistent reviews on a piece of equipment from people who actually own and use it is worth way more than any individual's sales pitch or opinion (in my opinion).
Good customer service is certainly a big factor!

The piece you are looking at has received many positive reviews form many very satisfied owners, so I have no doubt it represents a good value in new gear with the features that matter to you in your price range!

Just buy the dern thing + enjoy!

Just have fun....isn't that what it's all about?
Post removed 
10-4 Mapman ... I agree wholeheartedly. Mine is in cue as we speak.

Tvad
unless you have a lie detector handy and an experienced operator on site.... it's a dubious prospect at best. Even if previewed at the sellers home... though that latter scenario does inspire more confidence usually. It's one item I'll always place in my ads for sale.

I'll put this to rest this way, I've sought out and bought fine pre-owned gear. I will continue to do so too.

BUT when the cost differential from used to new is more a marginal thing lets say, I'll opt for new most everytime.

In fact I've seen items previously and now, which are listed only a hundred or so less than would be the model bought new! the Lavry DA 10 for example... one seller listed it at $850.00 I'll spend the added $125 then for a brand new warrantied one and not look back. It's not worth the time wasted to me. That's all. Same thing goes for some of the Stratos units being adv'd. for not terribly more money a new current tech supported unit can be had so why not?

To each their own I'll buy new when I can, and used when I have to. So far for me, it's working out.

I feel good about this upcoming Odyssey unit... all things being considered.