Good tube integrated for Merlin speakers?

Hi,

Other than the Ars-Sonum integrated, what is the current crop of recommendations to drive a new Merlin MXe?

The Ars-Sonum is a push-pull A/B amp, so I was wondering if a straight SET integrated would work, and/or something strictly class A?

I'm not dismissing the Ars-Sonum (far from it -- synergy is what this game is about), I'm just looking for alternatives (and the Filarmonia has a rather long lead time, so what do I do in the mean time?) ....

I was looking at Audiomat (specifically the Opera Reference or Prelude Reference 20), the Mastersound (300B or 845) amps, Art Audio Jota or Carissa (I think the PX-25 is going to be woefully underpowered but the Concerto might work), and well, I'm not sure.

If possible, I'd like to keep this under $5k (used or new). Oh, and if it has a remote, that's a really nice feature ....

Separates are fine, but a different conversation -- just looking at integrateds right now ...

Thanks for you input!
socrates7
I think Bobby is not particularly keen on SET with his speakers; I had considered that route. I own the Ars Sonum and the Joule/CAT JL2 combo and in the Ars is certainly comepetitive in terms of musical pleasure. I think it will be hard to beat an integrated designed with a specific speaker load in mind - I suspect design philosophies (SET PP Class A Triode Ultra linear, etc) are not nearly so important as excetution. P.S. I have also heard the Stingray is a good match with the Merlins.
" I think Bobby is not particularly keen on SET with his speakers". Don't forget that Bobby voiced his earlier models using SET amplifiers. SET work very well with Merlin, but I would avoid the flea powered SET and concentrate on the 300B family or better yet, the 845 or 211 based sets.

I have heard the VAC Avatar sound very nice with a pair of VSM –Me.
I agree that the VAC is very likely to be wonderful with the Merlins. I did not know Bobby ever used SETs or the history behind that. He gently steered me away from going that way, not that they would not work fine or that some might truly like it, but I was not encourage to go there. I would think that you would need an 845 or 211 for it to work though. Would love to try a deHavilland 845G for instance. Was very curious to try the Almarro 318B, but...
I've been running an Art Audio Carissa Signature for going on a couple years with the VSM-MM w/ superbam, absolutely no problems with power delivery. Plenty of slam, bass is filled out very nicely, refined mids and highs. I beg to differ, SET's can work very nicely with even the new Merlins.
Having said that, the partnering equipment is very important. Also, as you probably know, this is not an integrated amp, I can't help you there, although the Ars-Sonum is reportedly very nice on the Merlins. I suspect the EL 34's this amp uses mates well with the Merlins. I only say this because I still occasionally use a Conrad Johnson MV-55 (el 34's, about 45 wpc), and this also works beautifully with the Merlins. I have also used Cary SLM-100 monoblocks, another amp that can use EL-34's and it too was very nice.
There is an Art Audio Carissa on sale with a built-in volume control for less than $3000. I was very tempted by the Carissa.