ARC Reference 3 preamp: tube character?

I am seriously considering buying an ARC Reference 3 preamp to introduce an element of "tube sound" character into a SS system. I understand this preamp is somewhat transparent which is not necessarily a bad property, but is it so transparent that it would defeat my purposes? Lexicon LX-7 amp and Legacy Whisper speakers.
Thanks!
rubyrad
"Happy tube-tasting."

Hmm, good tube! . . . (Satisfying 'Krunch!') . . . OOOOOuch!!!!
I agree fully with Guidocorona's assertations of the ARC Ref 3, and yes I am an owner. If you are looking for tube-like sweetness, this is not the preamp for you. It definitely has the 'fuzz on the peach' tube like palpability to me, but is not 'sweet' by any stretch of the imagination.

I've heard the VAC Renassaince mk II, BAT VK-32SE and CJ Premeier LS16 mk II, all sounded much 'sweeter' or 'tubier' than the ARC Ref 3, IMHO. Maybe one of these will please you.

Cheers,
John
Poster sounds like a Conrad Johnson man to me, my dad owns the Ref3 and its nuetral.....and sounds fantastic!
I agree with Chadnliz. . . CJ sound is musical and sweet; it has loads of the best attributes of tube designs without stereotypical flaws of woolliness in the nether regions or obvious lack of extension at the top. Furthermore CJ are truly single ended devices optimized for that mode of operation. I did listen to a CJ ACT2 on a system with Wilson Alexandria speakers and it sounded magnificent in its own way to my ears.
Been there,done that,got the T Shirt.The REF 3 was the most accomplished pre amp I have had the pleasure of owning.The only thing between you and the music is the air.