TVC Promethius versus Bent

Any impressions on differences from this that have tried TVCs from both these companies? Also, I'm not sure why a transformer would help over of a passive resistor based attenuator (assuming a very high quality pot)assuming drive, low output impedance source, low capacitance cables, high sensitivity amp with high input impedance (100kohm). If more is less, why isn't adding a transformer just more, though minimal, distortion? Sort of two questions, but I have a high quality passive volume control, but have an interest in the TVC idea, especially these two brands or something made by Kevin Carter.
pubul57
ET, if you get a chance to try the Promitheus Signature TVC, I think you will find it worth your while. The new TVC has better top end frequency extension, dynamics, bass weight and overall refinement/finesse than the less expensive EI-core units. I would be very interested in how the new Signature TVC compares with a system such as yours, which sounds like a well-optimized Placette RVC implementation.
PuBul57,

I think you have a great point...could a TVC REALLY sound better than a passive resistor attenuator set up with ideal source - amp connections? I use EVS attenuators with a Nuforce 9.02 and in conjunction with Harmonic Prosillway Plus short IC's (1.5 meters). It sounds really great. However the only problem... mabe not..is that sometimes I could use a little more volumme. I too would really like to try a Promethius TVC against? the EVS attenuators. HMMmmmmm....maybe I will have to go out and but the TVC's and try them against the EVS attenuators.
If I do that I will let all of you on Audiogon know what the comaparison revealed.

Best wishes

Charlie
Charlie, I'm not sure I understand the volume issue with passives in most cases. My DAC put out 3Volts and my amp plays at full power with .839Mv, I'm not sure how volume can be compromised. The other issue I have with transformers is that they are bandwidth compromised to some extent, and my understanding (limited) is that my volume control is not. I would love to hear a demo with SOTA passive potentiometer, passive stepped attenuator, TVC, and tube pre. I know there is a gap between theory and hearing, and that sometimes we hear the theory, we hear what we expect. Anyway, it is all fun.
I have the EVS attenuators and compared them to the K&K TVC that I also have (with S&B MkI transformers and Seiden switches). The TVC was better in regards to micro dynamics and overall sound stage presentation. The EVS presented a sound stage that was somewhat less 3 dimensional. Both are quite transparent though and for the price the EVS is a great value.
Pubul57,

Not sure if you have seen this, but some good information on S&B transformers:

http://www.stevens-billington.co.uk/page102.htm