Cary 805, deHavilland or Atma-Sphere? Anyone cares

Over the weekend, I have listened extensively to the following four different amplifiers and I have decided once and for all that the SET 300B, no negative feedback is the way to go.
The four amplifiers are as follows:
Passlabs X150: very neutral, powerful yet the sound almost very sterile.
EAR 834: very musical, tube mid-range yet sound the least like live music.
YBA 2 High current, Double Transformers: very musical, soft and sound very enjoyable; yet again not like live music.
Audio Note kit one: This is a killer and provided the music is limited to vocals and chamber music. Very good mid-range with good attack and the best like live music; but not very much bass.
However, this listening session made me to want more bass with the SET.
Thinking about the Cary 805, deHavilland or Atma-sphere ?
Any comment ?
Please advice
robertwolfee
Atma-Sphere is made in the US Cary is made in China. Atma-Sphere is good Cary is... not!

JMO

O

o

My Cary 805c was made in North Carolina. I have owned both the Cary 805C and Cary 300B signature. The two amps have completely different presentations. The 845 is big and breezy while the 300b is more immediate and focused. I found using a Sophia metal plate 845 in the Cary 805 to give the sound stage of an 845 with the detail and immediacy of a 300B. I have heard the 845 based deHavilland and enjoyed it. I can not remember the differences between it and the Cary. If you are looking for a SET sound with more bass definitely listen to an 845 based amp.
Another option for more bass is KR Audio amps. I have the Kronzilla SXI and bass control is wonderful (among other things). I like to use Bela Fleck's Flight of the Cosmic Hippo as a bass reference and the Kronzilla really graps the bass by the seat of the pants or thereabouts.
The Atma-Sphere OTLs will definitely give you a lot of what you find magical about SETs with the dynamic punch and bottom end that you crave. This will be the case if your speakers are an appropriate match, meaning 8ohm load or higher. With 4ohm speakers, you will need an autoformer, such as the Paul Spelz zeros, to get the Atma's to sound anything like they should.

Another type amp that reminds me of 300B, but has a bit more punch is a 211 based pushpull amp, such as the Consonance Cyber 211s that ultravioletaudio imports into the US. I think these are about halfway between the sound of a 300B and a traditional EL34 or KT88 type sound (i.e. big, warm, punchy).

Disclaimer: I own Atma-Sphere amps. Cheers,
Spencer