Mcintosh c-28 Where do i go from here?

Hello fellow 'Goners. I have been listening to my recapped Mcintosh C-28 for some time now and find it pleasant to listen to but I believe that I am still missing out from newer 2 channel preamplifiers. Although the c-28 has a pleasant sonic signature, it can sound a tad too dry, clinical and edgy especially during long acoustic (guitar) passages (William Ackerson's in search of the turtle's navel comes to mind).

I know that my c-28 has impressive resale on the pre-owned market (around $600). What would I replace this preamp with? What are your thoughts? As an FYI, I am not willing to spend over $600. My other components consist of a Mcintosh MC-2155, CAL Genesis cd player, and dali suite 1.7's.

Thanks in advance.
splittie
My suggestion would be to find a used Classe CP45. Great sound quality for the money.

Arthur
There are several preamps in that price range that I either currently own or am very familiar with. For something on the warmer side, the Audio Mirror T-61 is excellent. An older Classe (DR-5) for instance, sits on the other end of the fence; not quite "clinical", but more neutral with a little more detail. A notch toward warmth from the Classe is a Musical Fidelity A3cr, and another notch toward the Audio Mirror is a Marsh p2000t.

All are excellent preamps, and can be had used for about your desired price.

Michael
Thank you. If I was going to stay in the Mac family what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Mac's C33 would be a great match for your 2155. I think it wouldn't cost too much over your 600 range. I had a 28 new and when the 33 came out, thought it was much better. Good luck.

Thank you Onemug. What do you like about the c-33? The c-28 even after a professional recap is still has a very dry and clinical sonic presentation.

Thanks in advance.