Merlin VSM and SETs?

I would like to hear from those that have tried an SET (integrated or amp)with the Merlin VSMs. What do you think? If you prefered the SET, what were you comparing it to. I have an Ars Sonum integrated and CAT JL2 amp, and am wondering if an SET will provide a worthwhile option, and if so, in what way.
pubul57
I ran my VSM's with a WAVAC 572 for a while--apparently not their most popular model. Supposedly put out 50 WPC, although I talked to some people who said that was a bit optimistic of an estimate. Couldn't stand the bass, very loose and boomy. I much preferred the ZH270 to the Wavac.
So far I am not too encouraged. I was thinking of SETs in the 16-18 Watt range, but I suspect this may be pushing it with the Merlins (I'm not changing speakers). I was thinking something like the Art Audio Carissa (16 watts 845s) or Almarro 318B (18 watts 633CC) - something like that. While the Merlins (89dbs) have excellent phase specs and impedance for driving with tubes, I suspect SETs (even the "higher" power ones may be too much to ask. I listen mostly to acoustic jazz ('55-'65 hard bop), chamber music, and singer/songwriter and folk rock. I suppose I would be better off with something like Zu Defintions for speakers in this application, but the Merlins are staying. Thanks for you input so far.
I agree that flea powered SET need not apply for Merlins, BUT high-powered SET and Merlins are an awesome match. I run my Merlins with a pair of Cary 805 SET. No problem with bass and dynamics and I have power to spare.

I have also heard Merlins with J C Verdier 845 amps and that combo also sounded awesome.
Now those Cary's are 50 Watt or so? I was hoping to get away with 16-22 watts if possible. SOunds like high power requires 845 tube or possible 6CC33 - 2A3 and 300B are out of the picture.
I'm using Wyetech Labs Sapphires which use 300B's at 18 watts with VSM MM's and I'm quite satisfied with the sound. I don't listen at earsplitting levels but they will play the Allman Brothers loud enough to drown out my air guitar!