Audiophile Results

Which component is the most critical, the processor or the amp? I hope to attain a audiophile stereo system as the front end of a HT room.
pegasusxls
You've got it all wrong,the most important component in your system is the source,always has and always will be.
There is always the option of getting a preamp with an A/V bypass feature, so you can keep your 2 channel signals completely seperate from the HT system. Take a look at the system diagram in my system.
If you want good two channel music results combined with the ability to do home theater, do not use a surround processor as your main preamp. Get a real analog two channel preamp (preferably one with a processor input) and a separate surround processor.

Any surround processor will be compromised as a two channel preamp because of all of the digital garbage sharing the same chassis and power supply.
Mark, I've heard great speakers sound very good with average electronics. I've never heard average speakers sound any better than average no matter how good the front end is.

The differences between average front ends and great front ends are subtle. The differences between average speakers and great speakers are HUGE,

The differences between great front ends are even subtler while the differences between great speakers are still HUGE.

Any front end will work in any room which cannot be said about speakers.

You must find a speaker that pleases you and works in your room and then find electronics that mate well with them.