cat jl3 signatures vs. atmashere ma2III's

Has anyone had the cahnce to hear these amps side by side? I was wondering what the sonic differences would be between them. I have heard the cat jL2 signature but have not heard the monoblocks. Do you think the atmasphere would give me the bass slam of the cats. I know both have great midrange and I know that the cat will be a little more "maintenance" but which one do you folks prefer and why? Any input would be much appreciated.
billyg1
The S-30 loves 12 ohm and ideally higher impedance loads. It will drive your Merlins but the M-60 is a better match IMO.

Disclaimer: AS retailer
I get the sense we are talking about two great companies and the choice of one over the other is personal to the listener and the answer on how to choose must be based on audition - we all hear a bit different and have our own priorities on the type of sound we prefer. I suspect the CAT will perform with a wider selection of speakers, able to handle more difficult loads than the Atma, but others might pipe in and say that is not really the case. If one is already considering Atma OTLs, it might also make sense to add the Joule amp to the audition list.
Emailists: "Interesting he finds stronger attributes in the JL2 amps in his August review but then in his new October review of Atma's MP-1 preamp, he has this comment..."

Two different reviewers.

Having heard the M60s, MA-1 mkIIIs, and MA-2 mkIIs, I think its fair to say there is not much sonic difference between the Atma-Sphere amps, assuming a reasonable load. I suspect the choice depends more on speakers, room size, the 'scale' of reproduction one prefers, and one's priorities regarding authority and weight in the very lowest frequencies.

The MA-2s coupled with Wilson Maxx 2s (in a setup v. similar to what Marc has) are *very* impressive. Not quite the very last word in lowest-end heft and punch as one might get from say, the ARC Ref 210s or the CAT, but little else is lacking. The MA-1s and MA-2s certainly offer top-notch low-end tonal definition and articulation. And while there may be equals, I've yet to hear any amp that is quicker than an Atma.

In terms of tonality, the Atmas compete with the best. Until I learn better, I cash out the issues of 'lean' or 'full' as a question of relative higher order harmonic distortion. The issue of tonal 'weight' is one I gauge as a matter of personal preference.

And, fwiw, choice of driver tubes definitely make a difference here. Most all Soundstage reviews stick with stock tubes - and rightly so. The Chinese 6SN7s that Ralph provides are some of the best current manufacture in terms of low noise, construction consistency, and reliability. But put in a few Ken-Rads or RCA 6SN7s, and then tell me what you think about harmonic weight.

While lowest-end authority may (very) slightly tip in favor of beefy transformers, on the flip side, I've heard nothing that competes with the exquisitely filigreed top end from Atmas. It just keeps going and going and going.

In the end, at this level of quality, their is no 'best' other than what works best in your system to yield the level of sonics and satisfaction that work best for you.

Lastly, I can't say enough good things about the new MP-1 mk.III w/ phono in conjunction with Atma-Sphere amplification. (Thanks to those who read my review.) Certainly at its price point. I'd enjoy reading comments of comparison about other preamps folks find work well with Atma-Sphere amps.

Tim