Is the moscode 600 a great amplifier?

Hi there,

I'm planing to buy a Moscode 600 power amp. I found a lot of reviews on the web, but they're quite mixed: some are lukewarm if not bad (a reviewer said it's a "low" fi!!), others are nice.
Anyone can tell me his experience with this special amp? In particular, does it really match well with inefficient speakers?

Thanks,

Michaƫl
mcos
Johnjbarlow

What speakers were you listening to and what did you like better about the Van Alstine? Thanks for any info.

Larry
Stereodad

The speakers were Salk Audio Veracity HT3's. The Moscode was not the 600, but a new one that is getting raves.

By comparison the Moscode seemed dark. The Van Alstine amp was very musical. Nice tonal balance all the way around. For the money, Van Alstine is a real giant killer. BTW, I don't own any Van Alstine gear.
Johnjbarlow

I have neen looking for this comparison for awhile and whats even better is you heard them on the HT3s which is the speaker I use.

Thanks again Larry
I have owned a Moscode 600 for ten years until I sold it, bought it new and I always thought it was a great amp. With the right tubes it will knock your socks off. I have to disagree with the person that said it was cheaply built, it was solid and in the ten years I have owned it never had it worked on. Moscode advertised it as a hybrid, tube input mosfet output, and for the money you could not go wrong
I bought my first 300 back in the mid 80s to replace an Ampzilla which, by comparison, was thin sounding, lacking in detail, weight and resolution. Since then I have purchased a used second 300 and 600. My career began as a musician and these hybrid amps sound like music. I later became a recording engineer and the Moscodes are my "go to" reference amps in my out-of-studio system. I run a set of Martin Logans and Maggies with them. In my opinion you can not approach the sound of the Moscodes unless you spend lots of bucks...., lots. they are one of the finest sounding amps ever built and represented a bagain at the time I purchased them. Neither have given me an ounce of trouble in all the time I've owned them (Over 20 years), save for a change of tubes.

A few reasonably priced amps that come close are the Hafler 9300 & 9500 series or, if you can find one, or a Quad 606 or 909. Of course you'd have to find the Haflers or Quad 606 used. The Quad 909 is still made.