Gallo Reference 3.1; What integrated amp?

Hello,

I am a proud owner of a pair of Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers. I'm now in the market for a new integrated amplifier with a good phono stage or an additional separate phono stage (cartridge is a Sumiko Blackbird MC)

Unfortunately where I live there are virtually no stores that carry really high end hi-fi gear so I can actually go have a listen and I've been doing all of my research on the net.

I would love some opinions of what you think would be a good match for the Gallo's, amplifier and separate phono stage if required. My budget is up to around $3000-4000, hopefully less.

I've read really good reviews about the Copland CTA 405, a hybrid, which apparently has a good phono stage as well. I was also looking into the Primare I30 which is a high current amp with oodles of power but no phono stage. In tubes Cary Audio SLI-80 looks interesting as well and Eastern electric M520 seems a bargain. What do you think? What would you recommend as a phono stage?

Thanks!
Alexis
a_philippides
I know you want an integrated but what about a Quad 99 pre and 909 power amp with their current dumping design? A very highly rated combo with a deep tradition of quality.
Alex,
I have tried the Gallos with the Primare I30, as well as a Krell 400 and with my Unison Research Unico, an hybrid integrated cheaper but quite good.
Here my findings: with the Unico high, mids and soundstage are excellent, I am surprised of the quality I am getting, although I will upgrade soon because the bass is frankly not great compared at what I have heard from the Gallos in other settings.
The Primare was actually my favourite of the three: excellent tight and well textured bass, very engaging sound all around, quite similar in tonality to my Unico, but maybe a bit faster.
The Krell was a huge disappointment: boring, boring boring, dry, sterile and uninvolving. Probably a bad synergy with the Gallos and with my ears.
I will be auditioning soon the new Nuforce 9SE v2 and the Belcanto ref 1000, then I will choose.
I am also thinking about getting the Gallo SA bass amplifier, although for some reason I have not managed to find many impressions about it on the web.
I am running my Gallo 3.1's with a Musical Fidelity A5 (also have the A5 CD player). The integrated amp has a phono section but I have not used it yet. I enjoy this setup, but have just gotten back into two channel, so can offer no comparisons to other equipment. 6moons has a review of this setup (A5's with Gallo's). The writeup is consistent with my experience. I purchased the A5 because of the high current, high output- at 250 watts per channel, and the phono section (and sound). The bass is excellent without the SA Gallo amp, but again I have not heard the setup with the amp. For $2750 for the integrated, I believe it is a great value. I believe the SA amp is $900 retail.
Again thanks for your all your comments.

I've been doing some reading and I can say I am even more confused than when I started... There are just so many choices and it's very frustrating when you can't actually go and have a listen to your music before you actually commit and buy.

I'm happy to see good comments about the Primare I30 as I am leaning towards that particular amp since it's easy for me to get hold of it on the web. By the way Viclondon, have you tried the resistor "hack" of the Gallo's? http://www.10audio.com/gallo_ref3-1.htm (5th paragraph from the end).

I will look into the Musical Fidelity one as well. Any comments on the other amps I've mentioned?
No, I have not tried the resistor, although I was aware of it. Recently I have got a Behringer DEQ2496 which is giving me fantastic results (and is great fun to play with). Just know I am working on the Behr in order to integrate my subwooder (a SVS PC+) to the Gallos and I am very happy with the combo.
The only reason why I want to go the the Gallo sub amp is because my actual sub is extremely bulky; also I can slightly detect the direction of the bass coming from the side and it is slightly annoying with music, while with the Gallo SA I should get the feel of the sound coming from the two speakers. The only thing that worries me is that I have not found many comments at all about the Gallo SA in the web