Krell 400xi or Musical Fidelity A5 for ML Summit?

I had been using a Krell 400xi with my Summits, but the top end bothered me. I have a chance to get the MF A5 as pretty much an even-up swap? Should I pull the trigger? I have an MF A5 CD player.
t_s_monk
Nrchy, maybe the Krell integrated that you've listened to was the KAV-300i and I can agree it's harsh. The 400XI is a different machine altogether and does not possess that similiar character.

jlevine, I would suggest that you reconsider your options. As others have pointed out, the MF doesn't have balanced connections and may not be a better integrated than the Krell. Personally I am a Krell fan and I would suggest looking at the source too as your MF A5 may be the culprit here. You can look at a used KPS-20i(someone selling here at a great price and nope it's not me). I own the KPS-30i and it's a lovely piece of equipment.
I owned the 300i and hear the new piece is better sounding and a better value.But really different sound.It's up to you.I think MF will be more fogiving and still have resolution .The Krell will have grip on bass that the MF can't touch but it is (as is all thier AB gear) a bit "etched" and metallic.Not sure if your open to other suggestions but why not the Sim integrated?More expensive is Ayre which is what I would want with the summits.The Krell in fact might not match with ML's.Krell sounds TERRIBLE with Maggies and your dealing with a (simmilar) very resolving speaker.So I'd go MF.But see iff used Sim and Ayre are arounf in shops to audition.Hear fantastic things about Edge gear but iut's nose bleed stuff price wise.But Sim Moon might be alternative to MF you'd like and if you could pony up for Ayre (knowing those who have had all Sim and went to Ayre and never looked back) if you hook up the Ayre stuff you'll find the budget and never look back.But each to his own.I know folks who loved Krell with Thiel when that for me is an ear splitting combo from hell.The Krell might be your ticket.I knoiw it's hard to A/B them or get the gear in same room with speakers but that is trully the best way because your tastes are your own.
Cheers
Chazz
I recently purchased the Krell SACD Standard+400xi combo. over the MF A5 combo. The Krell pieces sounded far more dynamic with deeper bass through a number of different Speakers. I agree with others that these Components must be run in balanced mode to sound their best. The 400xi is good on it's own, but really comes to life when paired with the Standard. Plus, in Black look far more impressive than the silver MF Components, plus you get the best Customer Support in the industry through Krell (CT).
No complaints here.

Hoo boy! Thanks everybody for your input, but there seems to be equal eloquence from both sides of the aisle. Hard to draw much of a clear conclusion. Just in case anybody is moved to chime in further, I use MIT cables--I forget which model but a pretty pricey one. I listen to just about everything, but a lot of big orchestral classical music as well as much solo piano and chamber music, plus a fair amount of small-group jazz. The set-up always seemed weakest on the symphonic stuff--somehow missing oomph.
I own a KW DM CDP and it is very very limpid in the top end; I believe that it may have the sonic signature like the A5, and similar to you I own a pair of Martin Logan SL3's. I've heard my SL3 drivven by KRELL KSA150 and the sound was very nice but failed to make me happy with the top end. A warmer pair of interconnects helped a lot (Van Den Hul the First)but I still decided to stick to my Primare A30.1 as it is more warmer overall. I think Krell gear in general have a dryer sonic print. I would consider the A5 pre-power, you can also bi-amp them when founds permit. Intersonnects DO make a difference so you may want to try VDH MC Gold interconnect.
Hope this help.