CJ sound

I am interested in a CJ 17 pre amp...does anyone know if this pre amp for moving the sound stage forward in front on the speakers? Or is it more laid back?
tz7
There's significant difference between the 17LS (MSRP, $4500) and the 17LS2 (MSRP, $6000) due mostly to the teflon capacitors in the latter, and a TON of difference between the Premier 14 that I formerly owned and the 17LS2. I don't find it either laid back or excessively forward but it is supremely musical. A friend borrowed the new CJ CT5 and CT6 preamps from a dealer and my 17LS2 outperformed both of them in my system, probably because the CT5 wasn't fully broken in. I did invest in Old Stock tubes (Mullard) for mine which may account for some of the difference. Good luck, Dave
do you have any idea what tubes this pre amp uses???

i wonder how much of it is the unit and how much the tubes?
My 17LS was the best pre amp I ever had(now I have gone integrated). I borrowed a Premier 14 before that. I agree they are warm, but don't lack detail, wide deep soundstage. I just loved the Premier 17 and would not have changed, just going integrated was cheaper than buying a new power amp.
The Premier 17LS uses 4 6DJ8 family tubes. This means 4 of the same type of 6DJ8, 6922, or 7308. The type, brand, and variation of the tubes will definitely have an effect. Out of the box the 17LS came with Sovtek 6922s - these are decent tubes though they tend to be a wee bit mechanical/analytical sounding and their top end is not as sweet or extended as others. The Sovteks might yield a slightly forward soundstage, but not to the extent of moving the soundstage to the extent you describe.

My experience with the 17LS found it having a somewhat recessed soundstage - as if you moved farther back in the hall. This was in conjunction with a pair of CJ Premier 12 amps. Not recessed versus in front of the speakers, but simply further behind the speakers. I found the original Shunyata Hydra had a profound positive effect on the 17LS - much more so than on say a 16LS - it opened up the soundstage in terms of width and depth, gave a better sense of air around musicians, and brought the soudnstage forward some, so you didn't feel like you were in the balcony.

Cheers,
Tim