How hot should a McCormack DNA-225 get?

I recently picked up a 6 year old one that was just factory checked. The heat sinks get pretty hot with no signal, and with music at moderate levels (feeding Infinity 8 Kappas, nominally 6 ohms) for half an hour, get almost too hot to touch! I'll call the factory and ask, but thought a voice of user experience could be more "honest." It is on a bottom shelf of a cabinet with open front and large openings in the back. At the time nothing was above it (over 2 feet of air.) The DNA-225 is replacing my 20 year old Adcom GFA-555 which would only get "hot" after a good while of cranking out some tunes.

Also, in a different room, the amp is tripping a 15-amp circuit breaker at turn on. Nothing else is on at the time. The original location may have been on a 20-amp circuit, I'll have to check.

Both these things make me wonder if the factory missed something. Ticket said they just biased some transistors. Any owner expeiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
kartracer
Hello Hi5 -

I presume you are referring to the AC mains fuse for 220-240VAC, and these are always slow-blow. The fuse will read "T5A" where "T" stands for time-delay. FYI, the internal DC rail fuses are 10A fast-blow (F10A).

Best regards,

Steve McCormack
SMc Audio
I had a similar problem with a DNA-1 tripping a new 20 amp breaker. Some one suggested this http://ecatalog.squared.com/fulldetail.cfm?partnumber=QO120HM and it solved the problem. It's a 20 amp breaker designed to allow a larger inrush of power. No problem since!!! Cheap too..only $20.00 from Grainger
I have just the opposite situation with my DNA225.

I moved into a condo in FL with one 15 amp outlet for all my audio and TV gear: DNA225, MAP-1 pre, Marantz SA11S1 CDP, Blu-ray DVD, 46 inch Sony LCD TV, Rotel 3-ch amp, PSA sub, SONOS, a couple of amps...and the breaker never pops open.

I am wondering if its working. When I go back this winter I'm going to fish a dedicated #12 wire to this area but it won't be easy opening all those walls.