Trying to extract more from my Vandersteen

I've come to the realization that my ideal system is always 2 steps ahead of whatever my current system is. I am only satisfied with whatever updgrade for a few months, before I convince myself that I need to upgrade again. This is as exciting as it is unsettling.

My current system is as follows:
Vandersteen 2CE sig
McCormack DNA-1 deluxe
TAD-150 sig tube preamp
Eastern Electric Minimax tube CDP
Blue circle Power cords
MIT IC's and speaker cables

I had spent the past two years building this current system, and I had been fairly happy with it. I thank this system for introducing me to the world of jazz. Switching to tubes really helped my Vandersteens "sing". I had entertained the thought of replacing the McCormack with a tube amp, such as TAD-60 or other equivalent, but I never did. I was happy with my system and figured it would remain intact for awhile.

Then something had to rain on my happiness or complaceny. Due to a busy work schedule, I was forced to do most of my music listening either in my office through my old NHT and all rotel setup or at home through my Sennheiser headphones. After a couple months of this, I finally had time to do some listening through my main system. It had never been apparent to me before, but all the music coming out of the Vandersteens sounded "veiled". Before, I purchased my vandies, I read and heard all the criticisms regarding this "veiled" or "shrouded" sound. I never felt this was true about my vandersteen's until now.

So instead of making generalizations, I figure this is a good opportunity to "improve" my system. I am still more than happy with the soundstage, midrange clarity, and bass dynamics. Perhaps what I want to improve is higher frequency extension.

All this being said, I welcome all recommendations and comments that need not be limited to the following topics:

tube-rolling...

Pre-amp...
Any recommendations on pre-amps (tube or SS)?
How about a passive unit (Sonic Euphoria, Placette, Mccormack TLC)?

cables...
anyone recommend Purist?

Amp...
Any good integrated's out there?
What do you think about the Eastern Electric Integrated?
How about Krell KAV 400xi? For that matter, how does Krell match with Vandersteens?

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to reading your comments.

Drew
drewyou
Try switching your source to another CDP, or at least audition another. I've got a feeling this is the limiting part of your system.
My suggestion, since you are noticing a difference for the better with different IC cables, is to try to lay your hands on some Virtual Dynamics cords - you can "rent" them from the Cable Company. They really let the music through and I'm pretty sure will solve your "veil" issue, especially if you also bi-wire your speakers with Virtual Dynamics instead of MIT. Once people try them, they have a tendency to not let them out of their system, myself included.

I have no connection to Virtual Dynamics other than being a happy customer.
This is a very interesting thread. I have a pair of non sig 2ce's and have been noticing the same Veiled sound and lack of calrity in the highs..

So far I have not been able to solve it with several interconnects... I am working on a new pair of speaker cables but still need some parts. I also am going to try another amplifier I have to pick up next week.. its a pass labs Aleph 3.

Anyway.. I have the same problem and I am very glad I did not take the time to upgrade to 2ce sigs as I am guessing it would not have helped all the much. The new 2ce II's are an exciting proposition however.. all 3A sig components but the woofer. This is a fun hobby but you need to be analytical and patient unless you have tons of money.. Oh I rebiased my Threshold 400a and it helped a bit.. I frankly think this is a game of small gains in several areas that add up to what you are looking for. I think the Vandersteen 2ce and 2ce sigs are probably the best speaker you are going to find for a smaller sized room under $2k used. Its my opinion based on a zillion other opinions here that I have ready that you need to move up a whole class to really see gains unless you want to take the time to get your cabling; and amplifer right.

I'm rambling now but maybe someone will make some sense out of what I am trying to say.. patience and logic... TRY stuff.. I am building the "Home depot" extension cord speaker cables.. why not? Will cost $25.00... google it.
So I hear Audioquest good, and Audioquest bad.... a new pair of Quatro Wood speakers are on the way to my dads and I hope Audioquest sounds good, it will be a real bummer to have to replace 3 month old Mont Blac speaker cables and Niagra IC's.
A month ago I would have agreed with many of the original statements regarding that perhaps the Vandersteens are veiling the overall sound. I would have been making that statement based on my past experience with the Vandersteen 2C's (and subsequent incarnations) and from experiences with my 1C's going in and out of my main system over the last few years.

However, after selling my Magnepan MG3.6r's and while I wait for my Ridgestreet Audio Designs Sason LTD's, I once again inserted the 1C's into my my main system and I have been immensely impressed with the sound of the 1C's. There is a great deal of air and hf extension through the 1C's (not on par with the Magnepan's, but certainly not "rolled off" sounding either). The 1C's are not what one would typically mate with the rest of my gear, but I think the results indicate that the 1C's (and I would certainly assume the 2CSigs even more so) will play glorious music if fed a good signal. My main system:

Esoteric UX-3 with GNSC Statement mods
BAT VK51SE
Atma-Sphere MA1 MkII.3
1m Purist Museaus XLR from source to pre
7m Purist Museaus XLR from pre to amps
2m Purist Museaus speaker cables.

Incidently, this same system with the exception of Parasound JC1 SS amps in place of the Atma-Sphere's was not as extended with the 1C's and, surprisingly, the bass was not as realistic either. This was surprisingly true on the MG3.6R's as well. My friend and I both agree that the insertion of the Atma's resulted in an amazing amount of natural detail (from lows, mids, to highs) being passed to both the Maggies and now the Vandersteens.

Drew, I think you should be able to get the Vandys to sound VERY good without spending a great deal. I would join in on recommending some experimentation with gear and cables in the same price range you currently have. It may be that what initially drew you to the Vandys (BTW, I too was drawn to them upon first hearing them ~20 years ago and still enjoy what Richard's speakers do today) was their way with the mids and lower hf? If your choice for cables and equipment were influenced by that, you may be guilty (I've done this before) of trying to overemphasize a particular freq region through cables and equipment and lost the balance the Vandy's are capable of producing? Anyway, sorry for being so verbose. Good luck!

Jordan