How to Listen ??

i am mostly a newbie to all the audiophile stuff..
but i've been a sound/music lover all my life ..

so i wanna know .. HOW do you guys listen??

what to look for..

i can't understand how u can see the minor differences between similar amps or speakers..

and i have a lot of difficulties with attributes..

is it like race driving ?
SEAT TIME!!! ??
:p

what should i do to develop more my listening sense...

thank you all :)
jinmtvt
i started into this trap 2 years ago. started by buying a new amp, and i was lost after that. hearing how changing different components affects the sound can get you going. for me, it's actually fun now. but the more you listen, the more you hear. you'll start to hear little hisses or hums, or maybe the bass won't sound as tight as you want it to. for example, after listening in my system for a few weeks even, i went to a friends house and heard the same recording on a very good system, but different from mine. the bass sounded washy, things were vibrating, the highs shrilled and made me cringe. i'm not a snob or anything, but even this pricey system just sounded different to me. i realized it's actually true, that even changing speaker position and yes, even changing interconnects and power cords can affect sound quality. true, many of these changes may be subtle, but if it's enough to let you enjoy your music or theatre more, then for me it's usually worth it. problem is, it can get very costly! i see audio a lot like wine - if you're happy with the cheap wine, and it tastes good to you, then drink it. but once you start drinking 1986 chateau haut brion or view telegraphe, you'll have trouble going back to the cheap stuff ever again. once you start listening to high end gear, it'll ruin you for the low fi forever... maybe that's for the best tho. good luck!
A lot of good advice here but just rememebr to trust your own ears. Get what ever you think sounds best. Dont get lost in the reveiws, gimics, specifications, opinions of others, or even the price tag. Also know that your opinion will probably change the more you listen. That growth is have the fun.
Like Bruce Lee said, "Don't think! Feeeel!"

Don't try to listen analytically, that's the job of reviewers. Just sit and enjoy.

Does the singer touch your heart? Does the saxophonist move your soul? Do you ever get transported to a far off place and forget that electromagnetic devices are sitting in front of you? That's the wonder of truly musical experience.

It's only when I'm startled back into reality by an offending sonic quality or unmoved by emotion that I think about the SOURCE of the sound.
I'm with Gunbei. How sound makes me feel is a big part of what makes listening time satisfying for me. I am required to think for most of the day. If my system is making me think about sound, it isn't doing what I've chosen to pay so much to accomplish, i.e. to feel fulfillment and enjoyment. So, I listen to how I'm feeling. Good feeling, good component, bad feeling, bad component -- for me. Same for tweaks.

Feelings might be even more subjective than ears, so I'm rarely surprised anymore that there is so much variance in opinions about which toys sound good and which don't. All the arguing, though, what's that about? Boy, if someone's flying off the handle all the time, do you think I'd be wise to check out their favorite components? :-)
First, NEVER listen to the $50k system first.
2nd, have your dlr listen to the budget system first.
- Did you like it? How much time did you spend in front of it?

Listen to that system with your music. Did it sound as good with the music they provided?

When you have auditioned a few budget systems, then listen to the best system they have. Did you like it that much better?

Then ask them to allow a home audition.

Why buy the Ferrari if you really liked the Viper?