Preamps - Active, passive...???

I have seen a number of comments in magazines as well as on-line about preamps as an "unnecessary evil", (my words).

There are products such as Volume Controls and Passive Preamps that are supposedly designed to be as simple as possible; thereby changes to the signal are to be minimal. My question is, "Why then would you buy an active preamp, IF these "simplistic" devices are "better""?

Let me state that I am not ridiculing anyone for there purchases. I am in a state a flux in my stereo and the preamp department leaves me scratching my head. Such as, is something simple, such as a Plactte passive the way to go or a highly rated active preamp.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
brianmgrarcom
PULEEZE. search on "passive" in the audiogon search engine. you'll come up with 498 threads. these repetitive, cumulative queries are getting REALLY annoying, at least to me. have our moderators disappeared? sure hope so. -cfb
Brian

you will find enough reading to last you a fortnight on this topic by doing a search in the archeives under "passive".
All I will say is I have the Placette Audio Remote Volume control and it is THE most transparent sound I have heard in my system in 20 years. I believe as long as your system is refined and you use short interconnects fron preamp to amp, Placette Audio passive preamps and volume controls with their vishay resistors are simply the best way to hear everything your system is capable of. It adds nothing to the sound.
Go out and listen to some high quailty pre-amps. Tube,SS, does not matter. After listneing to some of the equipment built by CJ, Krell, ARC, Levinson and (just as important) others, you will give up on the passive fad.