Levinson 20.5 monos - Time for a Refurb?

I bought my Mark Levinson 20.5 pure class A mono blocks new in 1990. I loved them for their sound and still do. They have been 100% reliable and I have never had them back to the Levinson or my dealer for anything.

However, they are 16 years old now and except for my Magnum Dynalab tuner, they are the only thing I have not replaced in my system.

Being pure class A amps they run pretty hot.

Question is, is it time I should consider having them checked out, refurbished, capacitors and the like replaced, etc?

If so, who should I consider for this work? Levinson? They are not what they used to be when they designed and made these amps, and I'm not sure they are up to the same quality work they did back then or whether I should trust that their parts will be as good as the original. Someone else? But who?

Has anyone been through this or does anyone have any thoughts about this they can share with me?
Ag insider logo xs@2xcipherjuris
Thanks, guys.

I think I will talk to Levinson.

Well, Phd, they have been played at least 2 to 5 hours a day almost every day for the last 16 years.
Cipherjuris, since that is the case, it will be to your advantage to call Levinson and go from there. Let us know what they have to say.
I would second or third the recommendation to send your 20.5's back to the Levinson repair department, if you think that they might need attention.
I have, on occasion, had to send both a cd transport as well as my 332 amp(that I shorted out and blew the right channel) back to the guys at Levinson, or the Harmon Group, their parent company.
There are guys in the department that have been there for many years.
There is probably a flat rate for replacing or upgrading the amps.
Trust me, they will do a great job.
But, "if it ain't broke....."
"if it's not broke don't fix" will only take you so far. What about preventative maintenance.? Your car runs fine but you change the oil every so often.

Electrolytic capacitors lose capacitance, start to leak DC, and have an increase in ESR as they get older. At some point they will begin to fail. The big question is when.

There is no definitive answer to your question but after 16 years it is reasonable to consider replacing them. Pretty much any competent tech can do the job. The hard part might be finding caps that are the same capacitance, rated voltage, and physically close to the same size.
I totally agree with Herman. It was very funny to see so many "if it ain't brokes" when other guys on this site will replace perfectly new caps to get a "tweak" improvement and not even think twice about it! Hilarious.

From an electrical engineering standpoint, those caps most definately need to be replaced - there is no question. Those amps run super hot and after 16 years, I bet there are even cracked resistors in there. The amps will definately benefit from an overhaul: Power will return and with it will come improved acceleration, er, I mean, dynamics, and bring along everything else that entails.

I am glad to see you following your gut instinct. Go ahead and send it back to ML and be sure to let us know if your sound improves. Get a quote though because it may take a very healthy dose of sentiment to pay the bill. :) Arthur