Can I expect to pay full retail for a new system?

In six months I plan to make some major purchases of new equipment that are each in the $10k range or above. Do dealers discount this kind of stuff? I want to do my homework before I venture into a store.

Krell, Audio Research, Magepan ect., When these mfgs show a retail price of say, $10k, is that what the dealer will stick to? On a $10k listed product, is there an unwritten window of say, $1k that the dealer will reduce his price to? Do dealers generally lower their prices for a sale?

I purchased an Audio Research PH5 a year ago at full price, and at the time, it never occurred to me attempt to negotiate a lower price.

Does audio etiquette allow for initiating a discussion of a lower price with the dealer....or is this uncool.

Your comments will be appreciated...thanks.......mitch
128x128mitch4t
Hi there the same rules of thumb apply to audio as any other commodity CASH IS KING especially in this economy. Luxury items are the first to get hit. Tact and manorism is a must,and that applies even more to the seller! Remember your trying to give them your hard earned money, and not vice versa ! any dealer who gives you the attitude is not worthy of your business. If you are willing to spend 5 figures on a system, I would expect to save 20 percent. Real shame some of these dealers havent figured out you attract way more bees with honey than vinager
When cutting a cash deal....is a check the same as cash...or is a cash deal hard cash only?
When cutting a cash deal....is a check the same as cash...or is a cash deal hard cash only?

Yes, a check is the same as cash. Infact if you were to buy something over $10K and pay with Greenbacks good chance the Feds will be knocking at your door. LOL....
Steve and Beemer - I like the snooty Audio dealer in Waltham. Malcolm and Paul have always treated me with respect and the utmost professionalism. However, it was a bit differnet when the owner operated out of his house. I waited at least 45 minutes while he finished his lunch, then he gave me a talk on cables and told me to come back when he had more time. Trying to weed out the tire kickers, I guess. Made me so mad, I felt justified in going in once and listening to stuff I had no intention of buying new. I would never do that to them now, though. Although I haven't bought much from them, given the right product, I would rather buy from them thqan anyuone else I can think of.
Mitch4T and Jea48: Glad you asked and answered that question. The advice given above to carry on your person and pay potentially tens of thousands of $$$ in cash money is ridiculous and unwise. That simply isn't done in any legit business with legit customers and legit merchandise, it's what's done when both parties are trying to keep the exchange beneath the table, usually in order to evade either taxes and/or accountability to each other and the law. The form of your payment shouldn't matter overly to the merchant when it comes to giving you a discount to earn your business. If they don't employ a check guaranteeing service then they'll incur a slightly higher transaction cost when accepting a charge, and that might affect the bottom line discount they're willing to negotiate a little bit. But on a purchase of the size you're contemplating there should never be an expectation on the part of the mechant for offering an even lower price for cash money, and if you earn airline miles or whatever on charges, or just prefer the extra degree of consumer protection using a charge may provide, then that could still be your best method of payment. Any implication that there is some increased presumption of 'seriousness' on the buyer's part by using 'cash' is nonsense -- what matters to the merchant (or should matter) is making the sale by serving the customer, and they'll be happy to receive your business regardless of whether you elect to pay by check or charge, or if not then you should move on.