Can I expect to pay full retail for a new system?

In six months I plan to make some major purchases of new equipment that are each in the $10k range or above. Do dealers discount this kind of stuff? I want to do my homework before I venture into a store.

Krell, Audio Research, Magepan ect., When these mfgs show a retail price of say, $10k, is that what the dealer will stick to? On a $10k listed product, is there an unwritten window of say, $1k that the dealer will reduce his price to? Do dealers generally lower their prices for a sale?

I purchased an Audio Research PH5 a year ago at full price, and at the time, it never occurred to me attempt to negotiate a lower price.

Does audio etiquette allow for initiating a discussion of a lower price with the dealer....or is this uncool.

Your comments will be appreciated...thanks.......mitch
128x128mitch4t
Always ask. Always. If te dealer knows you want to move on a product, especially if you are ready to pull the trigger on the spot.

"What's your best price if I buy it right now".

That'll work, then feel free to counter with a lower offer.
The art of bargaining seems to be lost on many today.

Best,

Paul :-)
Remember, this is YOUR money that you are spending, so if you are smart enough to negociate a better deal, good for you. (Don't worry about the dealer, they'll take care of themselves! If they don't like the offer, they'll refuse it.) I don't think etiquette is really an issue, as this is business.
Typically, you can expect a 10% discount or so, especially when buying an entire system. (However, depending on the dealer, you can sometimes negociate even more. As an example, my friend negociated a higher discount on a set of very high end mono block amps ($20K retail and he got them for $17K out the door.)
One thing to consider is that your standard B&M store has a high overhead, so they have a slimmer margin, versus say a dealer that operates out of their house (such as the one my friend dealt with!).
Now, if the dealer comes to your house to setup the system, and fine tune it, then the discount might nothing, or very little, as they are not only selling you a component, or a system, but providing their time and expertise as well.

My two cents worth.
In the old days, a full complete system, came with appropriate cables gratis.