Has anyone had good experiences with trading?

I am thinking about going from separate pre and power to an intergrated. Has anyone here had good experiences trading equipment or should I just sell what I have first.

Thanks in advance for your input.
eldarado
Mike, a few years ago I traded amps with an A'Goner and it was both fun and educating.
Gunbei,

You hit the nail on the head. It would be very educational to be able to do some "good clean swapping". Imagine being able to try 4, 5 or 6 different cd players in one's own system just by A'Goners swapping with each other, each giving the other's player a whirl in their system. Maybe then the different opinions everyone expresses would be based more upon actually having heard a piece of equipment in their system versus opinions based on speculation without having actually heard something or from hearing it in a showroom or at a demo. Just a thought.

Mike.
Mike, speculation based on what I read in the forums is my main tool when considering a purchase, but I was lucky a few years ago when an A'goner loaned me an amp to add to the three amp comparison I was already doing. I had read so many good things about it, but it wasn't until it was in my system that I realized how special and unique it was.

My only reservation in this kind of friendly exchange is shipping. I recently corresponded with a manufacturer and they advised me to take my amp to an authorized local shop because they had seen so many amps damaged in shipping. Luckily, that great little loaner amp was lent to me by a friend in the same area.

I definitely see the advantages to this because even listening parties have their limitations. I think you really need to live with something in order to really know it.
I did it once, or actually, didn't. I wanted to swap amps: a NAD 317 (mine) for a Marantz PM78. We agreed to try them for the weekend, and since the Marantz couldn't handle my speakers the deal was off. Still a positive experience though, as it gave me a direction to look for. Only possible though if you live close.