Best used amp in the $1500 range

If you had a budget of about $1500 to spend on a used amp, which you you look at? Primarily to be used for the front two channels in a multipurpose system, but music performance in paramount.

Also, not interested in tubes and would like something with decent power.

Thanks.
jack_dotson
If you want a kick ass killer amp try an AVA Fetvalve amp. They're rarely for sale used though but for a few hundred more you could get a new one.

I've had numerous amps in front of my Vmps RM 40's and this amp is better and it's not like you have to try to hear it. The improvement in timbre is amazing. No SS amp I've heard sounds like this amp. It's not tubey although there's a hint of tube sound there. The Van Alstine amp is actually a hybrid with tubes in the input stage but being they only cost 30 bucks every couple of years and need no biasing I thought I'd add it.

Frank's been doing this for at least 4 decades and I think he learned something or two most engineers haven't thought of.

Another amp, also a hybrid, that I think is outstanding is the Blue Circle BC 24. Either one of these is great. The AVA amps have more power so it will depend on what your speakers and room are like.

There's a Blue Circle dealer, Philnyc at audiocircle.com as well as a Van Alstine forum.
If you were impressed by the Belles why not try their lower powered 150A reference.

Good Luck!*>)
I'd second the Ayre V-3. I think this represents an excellent value and amazing performance. Yet, it does depend on the speaker-amp synergy, which is really the key point here. Also, I've had better experience in the past with upgrading either the source or preamp and this making more profound differences. Just my $0.02!
Odyssey Extreme, Possibly a mcintosh, but your gonna only find pretty old models at that cost.. McCormack is good, but is a toss up between it and the Odyssey depending on the system, another one I never heard but is in the range to outclass many from reviews would be a Belles 350 I believe, but not sure of the used cost.
Jack,

I've owned an ATI 1505 myself now for almost 9 years. Mated with NHT satellites and sub it creates a nice HT experience for me. However, it didn't float my boat for music and that's what put me on the path to 2 channel exploration.

I was going to say pretty much what Undertow said. McCormack DNA225, Belles 350A, Odyssey Extreme Monos will stretch the budget a bit but I think they'll all be a definite improvement over the Outlaw/ATI. Before pulling the trigger on an amp, read the forums more to see if that's the direction you want to follow. Audition if you can.

Good luck!
Dean