Unused channels on a multi channel amp

Is it possible to run a multi channel amp without using all the channels without causing damage? For example, can a five channel amp be used to biamp a pair of stereo speakers and not use the fifth channel? Would you have to connect a speaker to the unused channel to present it with a load? Would you have to cap off the inputs in some way? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David
dnapo
I have been using three of five channels on a Parasound 1205a for 2 years without problem.
That's what I'm doing at the moment. I have a pair of speakers biamped with a 5 channel power amp, with the full blessing of the manufacturer. You simply don't use what you don't need. No need to cap anything.

Also, if the multichannel amp uses a single power supply, particularly if it is not especially large, the amp might actually sound better the fewer channels you use. You would have fewer channels drawing the available power from the common power supply.
Just remember that any channel with signal input to it must have a speaker hooked up. If you can turn the gain down on the unused channels is may help alleviate stress on the power supply???
Elevick, a channel with NO input CANNOT stress the pwr. supply. This doesn`t even qualify for Urban Legend status.
A long time ago all amps liked to see a load connected. Maybe more true with tube amps than SS. Today seems to be a different story. I sometimes use a HT receiver with an external amp so that none of the receiver's amp channels are in use. Some think it sounds best when the power supply isn't taxed so heavily. Makes sense to me. And it neither urban nor legend.