Audio Research or Rogue

I'm fairly new to tubes and after about 200 hours I am pretty happy. However, I'm considering a new pre-amp to get phono and the potential for even better sound. What are some opinions regarding an Audio Research LS-16 MK2 and a Rogue 99 Magnum? I know little more than the experienc of my Dared class A, and frankly I'm very satisfied with it. My upper end is driven by an SET 845 into original AR9s. Most of my listening is classical. I probabaly like my music louder than most(she never complains)but, not excessive, I also like my hearing.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
lrozatti
First off, thanks for all the input, I really got the stuff I was looking for.

I would probably trade a little detail for more warmth.

Dared does have a pre with phono but, no remote control.

I am always sensative to price and will be looking for something on Audiogon. These are two units that seemed to fall into my price range in the used market.

The 9s are staying! Fortunately, I have been very effective in positioning for spacial affect and detail in a living room setting, and the tubes definitly took it to a new level. Even my wife, whom in her own words doesn't consider herself sophisticated with regard to audio, commented that the sound doesn't appear to becomming from the speakers. That made my week...

However, I have the same question as another. If the LS-16 MK2 doesn't have phono what is the phono input on the back? Is it for the external phono stage?
Audphile1,

I was just poking fun at the way your comment struck me. "I've heard mixed things" and "but I'm not going to comment". Just sounded funny to me. I'm not offended at all.
I bought the Rogue used for a temp solution while I await another pre and phono I have on order. So, I have no attachment to it. Based on comments here I wish I could a/b with the ARC gear. I love doing stuff like that when possible.

Back OT, I'm guessing that the phono input is designed for a smaller signal than what most digital gear ouputs. Most external phono stages don't, I believe, output quite as strong of a signal. I doubt you would do any damage plugging a phono stage into one of the other inputs but you would probably have to turn the volume up a little more. And I would expect the reverse to be true. Best thing is to consult the manufacturer or distributor.

Best to all,

Dan
On the ARC LS-series (I own the LS-25mk2) the phono input is the exact same as all the others, it's just labeled "phono" for your convenience. It's line-level like the rest.