levinson 32 heat

hi there,
i'm trying out a levinson 32 pre and am finding runs incredibly hot. I've been keeping it in standby mode when not listening, as indicated, and it's really hot. Anyone comment on this? is this a normal occurance? Does it need AC or a fan? Also, I have it plugged into a dedicated 20amp line.
Please let me know your experiences with heat and the 32.
Thanks
Chris
fmj
I use a Krell preamp with separate power supply and it too runs hot and has no on/off/standby switch, always on. It runs in class A mode.

One thing Krell says is never use a fan! It screws with the bias.

Richard
Hi all,

thanks for your responses.

to clarify, only the power supply unit is hot. and it is very hot to the touch, including the control knobs. It is uniformly hot (both sides) but I have not heard a whine noise at all.

I know that the unit should be ventilated well but I have it in a large enclosed cabinet with air/space around the unit. This is not ideal but should not produce the heat that this power supply seems to produce. I use the cabinet for other equipment and have had a variety of components / units in there and the only one that has ever been warmish is the ps audio p-500 (which seems to get hot whereever it may be). The power supply of the ml32 is much warmer.

Piperdan, what did Levinson mean when they told you that the unit had "experienced over-heating issues"? Also, could faulty DC connections/cables be a culprit to this problem?

Any other suggestions of things to look for before it goes back? I love the sound and would like to keep this unit.

Thanks
Chris
I had a similar experience to Dan. One side ran much hotter then the other, and the unit had a "whine". After sending mine back for the third time, my dealer convinced Levinson to provide me with a refurbed/restock unit (both pieces). I haven't had any problems since, but the controller will throw off some heat in standby (which the cat loves...). Bottom line, if you can't keep your hand on it, something's wrong.
I bought a used 32 about two weeks ago. I left mine in
stand-by and it runs warm but not hot. I keep the two units
side by side on the same shelf and there's proper ventilation.
I think that the whine is a clear symptom that something is
going wrong. I own a ML-36S DAC, a ML-331 power amp and a
ML-31.5 transport too and I've noticed that the 36S and 32
reach about the same temperature while in stand-by. The 31.5
is not warm at all and the 331 is significantly less warm
than the 36S and 32 (surely because it's designed to have
great heat dissipation).
its biased pure class a thats why it runs hot dont worry about. biasing at pure class a is why it sounds so good