Best 3 to 6 channel amp for around $1000 - $1500

Looking for at least three channels of amplification for around $1200 or so, but willing to go a bit higher if necessary. Any thoughts?

Set up is 50/50 music and theater, using modified Odyssey Stratos for R&L. I sold my ATI 1506 a while ago, and am looking to replace it with something a little sweeter, more musical, less sterile.

Would like 5 channels to allow for upgrade to 7.1, but need at least 3.

ALL HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks,

Dan
dklap
Checkout a McIntosh 7106 or something similar. It has 6 channels that can be configured into 3,4 or 5 . When you bridge two channels the power goes up to 300 wpc from 100 wpc into 8 ohms. This can be done by switches on the back of the amplifier. It is a great compromise amplifier between music and movies.
I would suggest that you check out the Rotel 1075 5 channel amp that really has a sweet and melodic musical presentation. Boz Scaggs' GREATEST HITS DVD reveals the lovely, delicate and controlled back up vocals of the 2 female singers that gently but distinctly overlays his dominant vocals. The rest of the band sounds so coherent but also distinct in their presentation of rhythm and tone. The whole experience remains musical and nonfatiguing as well as captivating and involving. This amp is priced lower than your indicated price range but don't let that misguide you because it is an awesome amp even in stereo only set up.