Audio Horizons TP 2.0 Preamplifier

Anyone famaliar with the manufacturer,and in particular
this pre amp.The credentials and testimonials seem
impressive.The advertised 10 day audition is appealing.
markwatkiss
I will have to put them on my short list. Are they grey plates from the 50-60s era?
Scifi,

There are 2 kinds. You want the A-frame version only. There is a current listing on Ebay. If you Google Ebay Siemens E188CC A-frame the first item is what you are looking for.
A few years ago, I posted about problems with the used 2.1 I purchased... Then, I ended up moving across the country, and dropped off the Gon for a while.

Anyway, I did get some relief from the seller, so that was fine. I haven't fixed it yet, but I did trace the problem to a poor solder point on one of the caps. I turned it on with the lid off, and tapped the components one by one with a chopstick until I found the one that does it.

Anyway, I happen to have moved to Sacramento, so I'm going to have Joseph repair it and maybe upgrade it to a current model.

Lastly, I've been running a quad of Siemens ECC88 tubes, and thought I would upgrade these a bit. Does it make sense to quad match a set in there, and can anyone tell me what the sonic characteristic of of the two positions on each side?

If I splurge on some high wire tubes, what positions should they go in?

I can actually do a little testing, as I have a few pairs of amperex tubes, a quad of EH's, but I want to have an idea what I'm doing before I go there.

Does one position affect imaging more than the other, does one affect noise levels more than the other, etc?

Blending a pair of Mullards and Tele's, do I get great imaging with a great midrange?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

---Michael
Reading through (very long!) thread, I see that positions 1 and 3 are the most important... I'll put some good glass in there.

I guess I'll roll things around to see what the impact is on the sound otherwise, since this thread is mostly dead.

---Michael
Mjm6,

IMO all 4 positions are crucial. I did not realize how true this was before installing the E188CC in 2 and 4.