best preamp ever - cost is no object

Hello there,

I am in the running for a new preamp, cost is no object.
Would appreciate to hear comments from you out there.
Thinking about Lyra Connoisseur 4.2 SE among others.
Poweramp is Tenor 150, speakers are Eidolon diamonds.
Thanks for your help and experience.
aspera
Last weekend, a local tube maven brought a small sample of his wares (2 huge tupperware tubs) to a friend's home. The friend also owns an Einstein preamp. Neither of us has had anything but praise for the Einstein in the last year, but wondered if it could be improved even further by changing out the first stage input tubes and the single 12AU7 with something other than the Electro Harmonic tubes provided. The short answer is dramatically so in each case. Almost every NOS tube substitued made an audible improvement. In some cases, a dramatic improvement. Unfortunately the best 6922 variant proved to be a Siemens 7308 from the mid 1960's and the best 12AU7 was a CBS variant from the same period. Each was very expensive, particularly in the case of the input tubes in which 2 are required for each input, so basically over $1000 worth of tubes. The point of this short story is that even the best tubed preamp is probably limping along unless its tube compliment is optimized and a lesser unit with better tubes may sound better. This certainly complicates comparisons, at least, of tubed units.
Fred,
When you start recommending $1000 pairs of 6922 tubes and $2,400.00 power cords like you have been doing on this site you really need a reality check; swing by my house and I'll show you what $9 6922 tubes and $5 stock power cords can do when you know a thing or two about sound reproduction, physics, acoustics and electronics. It's time for you to learn a thing or two about the art of sound reproduction. Some of us use more than our wallets to make decisions of what to purchase. The time has come to learn a lesson in stereophonics.
Fcrowder states: "The point of this short story is that even the best tubed preamp is probably limping along unless its tube compliment is optimized and a lesser unit with better tubes may sound better. This certainly complicates comparisons, at least, of tubed units."

Well said, Fred, and I agree. By the way, the best 6922 variant that I've tried in my preamp is a 1960 Siemens CCa, grey plate. It bettered by a small, but significant margin, the Siemens 7308( E188CC).
Nice thread. As usual some good technical advice admixed wth some verbal assaults on people's character. Always amusing! My comments will relate to the tennis analogies made earlier. In my youth I was amongst the top 10 tennis players in the world (under 18 years of age), and have played against Andre Agassi, Boris Becker, and Stephan Edberg, and some others that I can't remember. I have seen many of the best play as the heroes of my youth were Borg and McEnroe. It is difficult to compare generations because the equipment is so different today. You cannot be sure that if someone is the best player in the world with a wooden racquet, that he would even be in the top 50 in the world with the modern racquets. The game is that different today. I remember watching a replay of a Borg McEnroe wimbledon final 15 years after it was played, and I couldn't believe how slowly they were hitting the ball! That said my opinion is this. The greatest tennis achievement is by Rod Laver. He won the grand Slam twice, seperated by approximately 9 years. The first time he won it was as an amateur. Then he turned professional and was not eligible to play in those tournaments again (the grand slams were amateur tournaments until the "open era" began in the 70's). As soon as he could play in them again, he won the grand slam again! Who knows how many times he would have won the grand slam had he been eligible all those years. After that you have to give the nod to Federer. If you have seen them all, he does everything as well or better than anyone preceeding him. The caveat, there will always be some questions about his legacy if he never wins the French. He has a more suitable game to do this than most others that have won wimbledon. In my opinion, if you put any previous player gainst him, and give them whatever racquet they want, Federe will beat them all. I will give an honorable mention to Agassi, who played a more difficult style of tennis that Sampras, although Sampras' record is arguably better. Sampras' major count is padded by his dominance on grass.
Thanks for endulging the thoughts of a (relatively) old hacker:-)
I have a Boulder 1012. Has anyone compared the 1010/1012 series to the 2000 series Boulder equipment and have an opinion on the difference?