Mods and accessories

What's the deal here? Mod, I take it is short for modify which means change. It does not, de facto, indicate improvement. It seems that a number of members believe that the guy who designed the highly praised preamp or speaker just somehow forgot the one detail that makes it truly sing. What is it with a guy who buys a highly reviewed pair of speakers and immediately starts replacing spikes or binding posts or grill fasteners or hanging, wrapping or gluing apparatus to them? It puts me in mind of the person in the restaurant who pours salt all over his food without even tasting it first.
I'm aware that there are products built to a price point which can benefit by having some cut corners reinstated. but generally just buying a slightly richer model does as much or more. What is the consensus on this topic? Am I misreading?
macrojack
Being quite 'mod' myself, I have always modified my Armani suits before wearing them.
Post removed 
The modder can experiment and find a better set of newer components which would be too expensive for a mass produced product. Whether or not it's worth it is all in the ear of the beholder.

I should mention I am on my 5th mod. 4 to my SCD-1 and one big one to my preamp. Did I feel each was worth it? Mostly.

Bob Wood
http://www.GreatHomeTheater.com/stereo.html
The potential value of any modification has to be evaluated on a case by case basis. I have a Parasound R-EQ 150, which is a small, 5 band equalizer with a bypass switch. We got it because my wife wanted the equivalent of a loudness button for our new system (because she likes extra bass). So the settings on the unit were configured to her liking, and all she had to do to get it to "equalize" was to disengage the bypass switch with a little button.

The problem: Even in the bypass position, the unit constricted the soundstage. The solution: Modify the bypass circuitry by upgrading it to emulate a hard wire connection. Cardas posts were also put on the back. Now there's no significant degradation that I can perceive, IF the unit's in the bypass mode.

The cost of the mod was almost certainly more than that of the unit at full original retail. I know it can't be recovered if the unit's ever sold. I don't care. It worked and I'm happy with it.