Hearing loss and center image

I'm wondering if anyone has difficulty w/establishing a center image in their system because of hearing loss in one ear, and if so, what solution/s work best to deal with this problem. (I lost some hearing several years ago, and this is a problem to say the least.) Also, does anyone know whether dual mono volume controls (i.e. Cary SL-98, Atma-Sphere, etc) or an equalizer function would allow me to shape the center image differently than the typical single balance control. Any help would be much appreciated.
bojack
Gentlemen, thanks for your help, and I'm glad to know that there are some folks out there who have the same problem. Lrsky, is this MAC you refer to a Macintosh model? Thanks.
Mitch you are using the Valsalva technique, commonly used by pilots to equalize on descents. It is too bad that your doctor didn't suggest it sooner.
Maineiac, You've got that right. It drove me crazy for years. It was actually my doctor who reccommended it but I was afraid as when I was younger I hurt myself doing that maeuvre. Now i know how much pressure is required. Also stretching my jaw works too when Im only a little blocked.
Bojack,
Yes, it was a McIntosh preamp.
This particular customer, a surgeon, was well versed on the internal parts used by McIntosh. His eval was that it was a very high quality control. As I listened to it, I agreed that it did track very well for such a device, something not all do well.(Actually not many high end pieces, including my own company's products, even have a balance control).
He bought the Mac preamp and was VERY pleased, as it really solved his problem.
Having visited McIntosh about that same time for McMasters factory training, I too was impressed (still am) with their overall quality contol and parts used.Plus they were, and I am sure, still are very nice folks.

I hope this helps in some small way.
Good luck!
Larry
Bojack,
I suggest that you have a audiologic exam.
Each hearing loss is different and an audiogram (which looks just like a frequncey responce chart) will tell you in which ear and at which frequencies you need correction.
In my case, the right ear is down 20db at 3000hz, but near normal at 2000hz and 4500hz. This kind of wipes out the violins on the right side.
The good news is that your brain can adjust. In my case after about a year it is much less noticeable.
I also find that sitting slightly to the right and setting the balance right +1.0 helps.
Have you had your ears tested?
Ken