Bypass preamp, better sound, yet fatiguing?

Does anybody know a good reason why running from the CD player direct into the amp will produce a better, detailed sound (e.g., piano sounds more real, instruments are better separated), but on the other hand, after a while, after an hour or so, the sound becomes fatiguing?

Is there any thing as too much detail?

System consists of Levinson 390s, 380s, VTL MB-450, B&W 802n. Interconnects are Transparent super. Speaker cable is Transparent super bi-cable.

Are the cables not up to it? Room acoustics? B&W tweeter to bright? I don't experience any fatigue, if I listen through the preamp, but the sound is somewhat duller (but better rythmically) than if I go direct. Any suggestions are welcome.
hgabert
But in Hgabert's case, it's a solid state preamp and one from the same manufacturer as his CDP. In fact, I think ML claims the variable output on the 390s borrows from the 380s. I could see that perhaps he might find the direct connection lacks some oomph, but it seems strange to me that it would be fatiguing without the Levinson pre.
Post removed 
Well, it's not the cable. Just tried a Transparent reference MM XLR cable, directly from the player into the VTLs, and it's still "too" detailed (i.e., fatiguing).

Maybe there is an issue with the impedances (i.e., impedances are not well matched without a preamp in the chain). The output from the CD-player is 2.2 volts, so without a preamp, the volume control in the CD-player is probably only attenuating the signal. There is something the preamp does which minimizes distortion, and which appears to give the music more "body".
Well...my system isn't as hi-end as the one in question...however...it is musical...at any rate...running my source directly into my amp was a let down... increased grain, and lack of image depth were very apparent...just my .02...
It all depends on system synergy. Try Silent Audio Apollo C (copper) cables directly to your SS amp or SS preamp. They tamed some of the harshness from my system and are very good with SS equipment. My system (as it is now) sounds better directly to my amp. I may experiment with a tube preamp at some time down the road........