Bob Crump passes away over holiday.

128x128tabl10s
This is very sad news; I spoke to him several times and was always impressed by how decent and generous he was. He told me that he was moving from the Houston area to Eugene, Oregon last year. My best to his family.
i've been thinking of what to write about bob for a few days, as it takes time for such finalities to sink in.
as are us all, i'm obviously quite sad about bob's death, but i'm not at all surprised. even after his stroke, he was not going to be denied his marboro reds, damnit! exercise? HA! those doctors don't know shit!--classic bob. (but unfortunately led to his untimely demise)

part of what made him larger than life was his stubbornness and his hell-or-high-water i'm doing it my way approach to life. from his public feud w/ BFS to his loyalty to his dealers, that man had courage and strength of character that few can approach. bob wasn't short of opinions nor was he one for apologies, but then again, he had few quarrels. how could anyone take umbrage with an audiophile version of santa claus?

what i am surprised with, and take comfort from, is that his life, the way he wanted it, went more or less by design. he didn't have a wife or kids, as he said he didn't much want them, which i never knew to believe or not (he did want but unfortunately never got that skinny hippie chick he wanted---the dream of eugene OR unfulfilled). he never seemed lonely to me, and i think the volume of posts at audiogon & at AA are testament to how many people he was friends with, and how he may have lived alone but was never seemed a loss of company or companionship. when i'd visit him, his phone always had a ring or two; knowing bob, he didn't have too many enemies or unpleasant acquaintances, so if the phone rang, it was usually a friend to him. and almost always, he was having way too much fun, something that seems a bit shorter in supply now.

bob touched a lot of us, my wife & i included. he'll be missed, but not forgotten.

rhyno
Great guy indeed. I had exchanged quite a few emails with Bob. He always had a great sense of humor. He always remind me to pay more attention to my family rather than hobby. His original idea got me into thinking and design my own cables.

His cable will be remembered.

Here is his original invention for the very first audio grade power cord.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/cables/messages/7885.html
I knew Bob for over twenty years, first as a fellow audiophile, later as a friend and owner of TG Audio. For many years, we made a point of weekly listening sessions either preceded or followed by a trip to Bob's current "favorite" restaurant, most recently a small neighborhood Italian bistro named Napoli. During that period, he introduced me to a wide range of music that I would otherwise have missed, most what I would term acoustic or folk, Misty River, John Renbourne, Bert Jansch etc. Bob's tastes were fairly eclectic, though I don't think that he listened to much classical music. Bob truly loved music and it was unusual for the sound system ever to be turned off. In later years, the sound system became a tool through which he evaluated his wire products. I think that he was most proud of his collaboration with John Curl and Carl Thompson on the Blowtorch preamp.

Bob had many acquaintances but few close friends, most somehow connected with audio. He spent many hours on the computer and phone answering questions on wide ranging topics. Bob never married or had children of his own but did become very attached to the children of his last real love, Eileen, but that was many years ago. Bob was not always an easy person to be around. He was highly opinionated and did not always take kindly to alternate views, particularly those in any way critical of his products or his service which could be maddeningly slow.

Most of you will know by this point that Bob had significant medical problems earlier this year and that he was hospitalized at that time. I was at the hospital at one point when the doctor was discussing the problem with Bob. Although the doctor thought that Bob might have had a mild stroke, the real problem was a combination of Bob's weight, his smoking and high blood pressure coupled with severe anxiety attacks which caused Bob's blood pressure to spike. At that time, the doctor wanted to keep Bob in the hospital for further tests but Bob wanted to go home to take care of his cats, smoke his Marlboroughs and drink his Peet's coffee. As it turned out, that was probably not the best decision that Bob could have made. Bob's friends and faimily, particularly John Curl and Brian Walsh, in the last weeks tried to talk Bob into going back to the hospital, particularly in the last few days before he died as his erratic behavior and memory losses became more pronounced, but without any success. By the time Bob died, his weight was close to 500# and he was smoking 6 packs of cigarettes a day.

Why bring any of this up now? I guess because I miss Bob and wish that he were still around and know that this tragedy could have been prevented.
Very sad to hear. Bob was allways so helpful. A true great. He will be missed. RIP Bob