How much is too much...

Basically I have one question and one question only. Give me one rule of thumb when buying a Power Amp. What are the does and does nots :) of buying a power amp?
128x128thegoldenear
Excellent answers above. If you could tell us what speakers you will be driving, this would be a good starting point and go from there.
Hi, Banksfriend, when you suggest other peoples opinions don't matter, does that also include your opinion? Forums = other opinions. But I understand & agree with you that your suggesting Thegoldenear should go with what sounds the best to him. I am quite certain that is how it will turn out in the end anyway. Good deal!
- tube or solid state.....personal prefence here...tubes generally require more maintance.. alot has to do with matching it to your speakers...space, and power ( good point - better to have to much than too little)

-relability.. buy from a reliable mfg... chances are you might need service (higher for tube gear)and a mfg that has a good reputation for service and relabilty is REALLY important... if tubes, i would suggest to go with a really long term mfg with a great reputation ( BAT, ARC, Quicksilver) and not a start up company..

single end / dual differential inputs - important to optimize your connections and topology (for true balanced) and iec connection for power cords

impedence- should be considered to match with the pre-amp.

current capability - 100 wpc from a krell/classe/pass is going to have a differnt presenation than 100 wpc from a rotel/parasound/adcom. with that being said 100 wpc from most tube amps will even have more current than a good solid state amp (except the bass -"generally speaking")

mono block vs stereo - depending on load, design, and budget...mono blocks "generally" sound better and look really cool

there are more points - hope this helps out