SB Touch w/upgraded power supply: good next step?

I'm enjoying my SB Touch and so far using it stock, and taking analog out into my pre. As is it performs on par with my Rotel RCD1072, but want to take another step forward.

The Soundcheck mods are enticing, but for the time being I need to continue to use wireless and the Touch's screen, which are 2 big impact areas of that toolbox, so I'm thinking of waiting there a bit.

An outboard DAC is the logical upgrade, but more expensive. Maybe a Metrum Octave.

An upgraded power supply, like a Teddy Pardo, would run at around $300 and would be doable now. But how significant should I expect that upgrade to be if using analog out and stock settings? Should I go here now or wait a few months and get Soundcheck mods and the DAC first?

FWIW, I have 2 dedicated power lines, Oyaide outlets, upgraded power cables, Lamm LL2D, McIntosh MC275, B&W 804S, Rel sub.

Thanks!
lewinskih01
I have a SB Transporter connected to a Cary dac. I am only interested in Internet radio. Is there any product that would give me improved Internet radio? Is the sound quality able to be improved upon?
MB
Marcober
I listen to Internet Radio with 3 devices in different systems. They are Apple TV, the Marantz NA 7004 streamer, and the sbt. Allowing for differences in the systems, I don't detect a whole of difference with Internet Radio. Given the relatively low bit count possible, i would not expect to be able to improve much on the sbt/cary dac that you currently use.
Lewinskih01

The bridge will allow you to connect to an existing WiFi network. If you already have a router that has the capability to extend your current WiFi network, that will work too. You will get more Ethernet ports that way.

If the funds are low, the used market is a good way to go for a good dac. If that is still out of your reach, the SoundCheck mod is your next best bet. One.good thing about the mod is, if you don't like the way it sounds, all you have to do is a factory reset. Check the SBM forum under audiophile section to read more about other peoples findings and opinions.

BTW, if you were to buy on the used market what you be your budget?
Look at the Touch forum... There is a lot of debate on external power supplies, and while they were effective with the earlier products it doesn't add anything to the SB Touch.
I disagree completely. I am using the CIA PS and Starsound Sonoran power cord with my Touch into a MHDT DAC. I thought the outboard PS was a nice improvement, especially in making the sound more organic and less mechanical.

Shakey