Modwright SWL 9.0SE Pre ... your thoughts welcome

Hey, I have decided to dive into tubes ... well, you get my meaning. I was steered towards the Modwright SWL 9.0SE and so far have read some good things. I'm running a Levinson ML-27 for power and Paradigm S-4's for speakers. My transport is nothing special, Denon DVD-2200 but I am also looking at running a tubed DAC in hopes of bringing the system a little more alive. Right now the system seems a little flat ... not very exciting. Plenty of volume bass end it fantastic but the mid and upper end seem very packaged. Imaging is not very good ... High and mid frequencies don’t seem to blend well. Some CD's have fair to good sound but most seem pretty "plain". Just doesn’t have that delicacy I'm looking for. I seem to listen the SPEAKERS and not the music. I recently listened to an older set of Paradigms pushed by a small tubed integrated and I was amazed. The tubed gear really made the Paradigm speakers come to life ... I was set back in my chair. Vocals were clear and crisp … the sound was extremely detailed and I had to be drug out of the room. Since then I have really started to pick a part my system.

Cables are Signalcable Silver Resolution Balanced and Cobalt Ultimate speaker cables. I'm running Signal cable "Magic" power cables. Nothing fancy but it should do the job.

Is this upgrade going to help? Has anyone experienced this?

Any better preamps in the $1500-2000 range? What about Levinson SS preamps?

Help me out … Please
128x128horseface
My Modwright is paired with Bryson 7BST monoblocks. Probably have more headroom than I need (500-550 per channel) with the Paradigm 100s (91db), but this has been a better pairing than with a CJ amp (200WPC) FET I used before. I use Audience AU 24s.
I just ordered one and will pair it with my Pass X250.5 amp and a Dodosn DAC. Looking forward to it.
Thank you for your order Pardales. I am going to be shipping units within the next two weeks from the current production run. We have over 25 units from this run pre-sold.

I did speak with Kurt at Echo and I believe that 'Horseface' has borrowed a unit for audition. I am anxious to hear his impressions.

Thank you all for your support and recommendation of our product. We continue to work very hard to offer exceptional quality gear that represents an equally exceptional value.

Take care,

Dan W.
well. I should be aiming for a change in your source components. The preamp and amp is a good choice IMO, Paradigm speakers are a no-brainer (eventhou not familiar with that particular model).

Some options for CDPs wouold be the new Cary line, Metronome units or a Denon/Exemplar.

My two cents