Theory about Cary amps and their reviewers

Cary is now one of the older tube companies around from the tube boom in the'90s. My experience with them has been very positive. I wonder if some of the criticisms of them - fat, not extended, slow, etc., are in fact relics of the first reviews in magazines which were so used to solid state and still in the "wattage race". I have heard Rockets and V12's in rock and home theater setting pulling duty that would put solid states to shame. I also notice you never really see those sorts of reviews anymore. Other than making the amps compatable with higher gain devices, so that they can have direct inputs from things like CD's with volume controls, have there been any fundamental changes though? I prefer the slightly older versions with the lower gain input myself, but I understand the rationale.
biomimetic
I had a pair of V12 monoblocks in my system for a month or so. They belonged to a former friend who bought a SS amp from me. He let me use them while I looked for a replacement.

I have never read a review of a Cary amp, but my results were similar to what you said reviews described. The amps were slow, lacking in dynamics, and did not fare well if they did not get enough rest between listening sessions.

I waited a long time for that 'tube magic' to appear. It never came close to magic and never really even reached 'musical.'

I would not spend a penny on a Cary product based on the poor performance I experienced in my system. I wanted them to be good, but they never really were.
Hello again. My experience was within the industry when I was hired by a couple of manufacturers to set up and "tweak" their systems for C.E.S. (At that time in Chicago.) While I was there I wondered around to see old friends and say hi to a few companies I sold at my store. One of the speaker manufacturers was co-exhibiting with Cary and they had showed up 2 days late, there pre-amp didn't work, and when they tried to get Dennis to fix it before the show started he slammed the door in their face and said "don't wake me till noon".
In response to the above post, I did not find the Cary to be slow or boomy. It was dead accurate in its tonal balance and very good dynamics. My speakers are the Daedalus Audio DA-1 and it requires more power than the Rocket 88 could provide. Hence I am now using a Hypex based digital amp. I miss tubes and will be on a look out for the older Cary push pull amps.
artmaltman, I was using Kharma 1.0 ceramique speakers, and the amp had been recently serviced by Cary, everything checked out fine. The speakers never sounded slow or lifeless when I used other amplification. BUT those are good valid questions.