Looking for an incredibly dynamic preamplifier

I'm looking for a dynamic preamp that provides plenty of attack, great bottom end, and an iron-fisted grip on the system. The best I've heard so far (and by a long shot) is the Wyetech Labs Opal.
I would assume that other units with robust outboard power supplies are good candidates? Maybe a battery-powered unit like the new DartZeel pre would qualify?
Thanks.
exlibris
Exlibris:

Thanks. Here is my attempt to answer your very difficult questions:

Does your First Sound linestage have excellent high frequency extension?

Yes, excellent high frequency extension with no rolloff that I can determine at the high end.

Does it "energize" your whole listening room and regularly project images well in front of the speaker plane when the recording calls for it?

It does energize the room and it delivers a very close, intimate soundstage. Everything is well-focused, but female vocals really stand out in my system, particularly with the right tubes and matching equipment. If I understand what "energize the room" means, this would be enhanced by transparency, image focus and dynamics, all of which the F.S. has a whole lot of. I would say image focus is somewhat dependent on the recording and which tubes you are using. Some tubes give a high degree of image focus and others are great for dynamics in the F.S.

When images "speak" does their voice have good "action", in other words, does their voice project from the image and wash over the listener? What I'm getting at is: Are you the listener "inside" the music or are you left "watching" the music as if watching ghosts in another dimension behind an invisible, yet impenitrable plane?

This is a tough question to answer. You should be a poet or a novelist, because your imagery is pretty graphic. I am not sure that I experience music in the way that you do, but I would say that unequivocally the F.S. brings me closest to the music in its immediacy and "aliveness" than other preamps which I have heard. I don't experience the music by being inside it, but on the best recordings, I hear a broad soundstage with vocalist and musical instruments each in their own well-defined space within that soundstage. With the First Sound, on the best recordings, the vocalist is projected a couple of feet in front of the other musicians. Vocals and brass, in paricular, have a "you are there" quality on the best recordings. As I sit 8-9 feet away fron the speakers, I experience the vocalist at the five to six feet away point, so it's all a very close-up, intimate presentation. This is not a rich, ambient, reverberant sounding piece of equipment. It is spectacular in what is revealed at close quarters with music and musicians, whether the music is subtle and reserved or spectacular and dynamic. That is the best that I can describe it.

Please check my other posts on preamps and the First Sound if you want other comments on the F.S.

Does anybody have a Wyetech Opal and live in NYC?
Rayhall,
Thanks for answering my questions. You've given me a much better idea of what to expect from First Sound equipment. If you do get to hear an Opal I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.
I plan on listening to an Aesthetix Callisto Signature in my system in the near future. Unlike the FS, I have a feeling that this preamp may be closer to being "a rich, ambient, reverberant sounding piece of equipment." By the way, have you ever heard a CTC Blowtorch?
Nope. I haven't heard a Blowtorch. I would like to, but with what they cost, it is a path I couldn't go down, so it would only be curiosity which would drive me to hear it. I have heard that they are something special.
Granite Audio 770 is another model to consider seriously. I'm very happy with it. Here's a link: http://www.graniteaudio.com/amp/page3.html
First Sound owners:
Are there certain models of First Sound preamplifiers that are smoother/warmer in the upper midrange than others?
Do things generally get more refined in this area as you move up the line?
My speakers are somewhat 'hard' in the upper midrange and I've read that First Sound preamps can be a little 'hot' in this area.
I need dynamics but I'd prefer not to have singers shouting or piano notes ringing.
Thanks.